iluvbetta's 2.5g and 1.5g nano tanks (first attempt) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
iluvbetta's 2.5g and 1.5g nano tanks (first attempt)

Two months ago was when I bought the first fish tank I ever owned. A tetra 3g kit from walmart that housed one betta fish. Since then I've been regretting that decision because every time I visit this forum and look at all the nano tanks here, I'm just blown away at the beauty of a planted tank.

Last week I finally decided that I would start a planted tank and ended up with two (pictured in attachments).

Specs:
2.5g tank from petsmart
red sea nano filter
tetra 25w heater
hagen diy co2 kit w/ glass diffuser
ada aqua soil
zebra rocks

1.5g cube from thrift store
red sea nano filter
ada aqua soil
zebra rock
excel doseee

I bought HC and dwarf hair grass already because it seemed like the plants a lot or people use in tanks of this size. Hopefully they'll do fine. I also plan on keeping a betta in the 2.5g and MAYBE another in the 1.5g, but that seems a little cruel. Also lots of red cherry shrimp.

What other plants would look good in either tanks with HC and DHG?

Tell me what you guys think! I'll be updating periodically with more pictures and questions. I could use all the help I can get!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3189.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	12078  

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3194.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	12079  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I think (2.5) that the rock on the left is just a too overwelming. The other rock would do great as the centerpeice with the rock in the 1.5 as the accent rock.

And the 1.5, I think that you need a little more than just a rock. But if thats all you have, then what I would suggest is this. Plant HC in the front half of the tank, and dhg in the back half. And have the rock in the middle seperating them. Soon it will be barely in sight.

But your off to a better start then alot of us were when we started. The thing is to keep it up, and learn from your mistakes. There was a famous quote that once said that success is just failure to failure, without loosing enthusiasm.

Let us know if there is anything else.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

I took your advice and took a hammer to that rock you talked about and got about 5 nicely shaped rocks from it. Light also came in today so here is new pics with new hardscape:

I think the 2.5g is looking a lot better. Just have to wait to see how it will look like with plants in it.

I added another rock to the 1.5g. I'm thinking on growing nothing but HC in here except for behind that big rock, maybe some kind of bigger stem plant or maybe some moss? Have to do a little more research on what plants are good for a tank of this size.

Thanks for the suggestion! Looking better already.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Planted Member

It looks much better! One thing though, we are not the decider of the tank. You do the tank however you want to. You dont have to listen to us. But it looks really good, I suggest maybe some giant hairgrass behind the rock. Because you want a small plant, but want it to be tall.

I am subscribing, looks very promising!
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Here's a little update.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
looking good..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #430

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Algae Grower

very nice !
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Planted Member

Looks great! How do ou like the co2 you are using?
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

It's just a diy co2 cannister that I bought online. I'm liking it so far cause its doing what it's suppose to do and it's a lot easier on the eyes then the actual DIY method. I think I'll invest in a drop checker just to make sure its not producing too much co2 for such a little tank.

I ordered some brighty-K and green brighty step-1 too.

So currently the 1.5g tank has no filter and the 13w ottlite has yet to come in. I put on a red sea nano filter but I found the current to be too strong for the tank... Does anyone have any ideas to slow down the intake/outtake? If not I'll just let the tank be filterless.

Heres some pictures of both tanks. Next picture update will be when they show some noticeable plant growth:

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, nice start!
Watch out for that aqualight overheating the water though.

||
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

$25 dollar light from amazon finally came in today which completed the set up for the 1.5g nano tank. Plant growth has been very slow, but that'll hopefully change since I just started dosing excel.

As you can see, plant growth is not going too well in this tank. There's actually a small algae problem I believe, the soil has some sort of greenish film on top of it. Excel should take care of it I think. Any idea if the HC can make a come back?

The other tank is doing great. The HC is showing obvious signs of growth, albeit vertical growth and not horizontal. I'm just happy the things still alive.

Also got these guys today too. I'll reuse the bottles when I'm through and make my own fert once I learn how

And heres my betta doing whatever it does.

Currently waiting on lily pipes and zoo med 501 filter to get in. I'll post lots of pictures of the pipes in case anyone is interested in them (they're the 10mm found on ebay)
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me what kind of algae this is? I have it in both of my tanks

(sorry for blurry pic)
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)
Cool tank. Looks like it will fill in really well.

Looks like diatom algae to me (I'm no expert). Do you have any algae eaters in there?
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

No algae eaters as of yet because I have a betta in that tank and he likes to pick on the 2 ghost shrimps that are in there with him. Im planning on moving him to the 1.5g and using the 2.5 as a shrimp tank. Just ordered 20 RCS from epicfish here on the forums

And fish that you guys recommend for the 2.5g tank that'll play well with RCS?
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
looking good, subscribed

cheers-K

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode