What makes an ADA an ADA? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
What makes an ADA an ADA?

maybe a silly question with a simple answer but i see alot of people purchasing ADA tanks. We dont' have access to these in Canada (at a reasonable price anyways) but we have lots of people who build custom tanks...What makes the ADA tank any different from a custom tank of the same dimensions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 03:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Mainly build quality and look. Use of just the right amount of silicone for sealing, of course the rimless factor as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 12:32 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrramos View Post
Mainly build quality and look. Use of just the right amount of silicone for sealing, of course the rimless factor as well.
But with someone with enough knowledge to custom build a aquarium to the same dimensions and quality. What would make the ADA tank better? The cost would be the critical difference and if you placed both tanks side by side,and planted & aquascaped them exactly the same, I doubt someone would be able to tell the difference and recognize the ADA tank.

Personally, the Starphire Aquariums as per Orlando, of GLA aquarium's link would be the one that I would love to get my hands on and IMHO, it would be far superior in build quality to the ADA tanks.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/gr...ire-tanks.html

Da*n, RyeGuy, why is Winnipeg in the StoneAge when it comes to equipment like this??

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

sounds to me its only the brand
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
Personally, the Starphire Aquariums as per Orlando, of GLA aquarium's link would be the one that I would love to get my hands on and IMHO, it would be far superior in build quality to the ADA tanks.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/gr...ire-tanks.html
Saying far superior is kinda getting ahead of yourself isn't it? These tanks aren't even available yet.

The reason most go with ADA is for the Clean silicone, Rimless design, new ones are Opti clear glass (equivilant to starphire, my tank has zero green tint to it).

I have the newer Mini M that has the Opti Clear Glass, 5mm thick glass, super clean silicone, perfect beveled edges.

Orlando will probably make a killer tank but to say it is superior even before it is available for purchase is a bit far fetched. Just like saying Mosura Shrimp food will garuantee you more berried shrimp. Its all personal opinion.

I would love to have one of O's tanks to compare side by side to my ADA tank.

Have to say the ADA tank I own is the nicest one I have ever owned for quality or build.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
Saying far superior is kinda getting ahead of yourself isn't it? These tanks aren't even available yet.
True, point well taken.

But I think that bigger question whether clones of ADA tanks can be replicated with the same quality materials and more economically. I don't profess to know or suggest it can as I am not a DIY person, but I am sure others who build aquariums can best answer this. While I don't doubt that ADA tanks are excellent, like many of ADA's products they are grossly overpriced. But I guess if someone does not care and money is not an issue, then it would not be a problem. I don't mind paying a premium for the ADA AS because I have yet to see a substrate that was more affordable that could give identical results.

My intent was not to trash ADA tanks, so sorry if I offended you.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Well All the other reasons stated above are very true but I also bought My ADA tanks because the inspiration that comes from them and all the Amano aquascapes. The tank won't give you any special powers like your fish will breed or you will win the next aquascaping contest but it sure gives me a personal feeling about having my own nice piece of nature.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Here are a couple images that show some of the defining factors of an ADA tank..

http://www.projectaquarium.com/plant...ubeGarden.aspx

jB
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
yeah, i guess as Homer says, if you have the money, then ADA would be the best...I can get an ADA mini-m clone for $40 no tax, nice dressed edges or I could pay upwards of $200 for an ADA tank. For me, i'll take the savings and spend it on other improvements to the tank...that being said, if we had a ADA supplier in canada, i might buy from them..
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy View Post
yeah, i guess as Homer says, if you have the money, then ADA would be the best...I can get an ADA mini-m clone for $40 no tax, nice dressed edges or I could pay upwards of $200 for an ADA tank. For me, i'll take the savings and spend it on other improvements to the tank...that being said, if we had a ADA supplier in canada, i might buy from them..
Guess that is the advantage of having 2 us suppliers I only paid $65 for mine.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
ADA is a brand. What makes an ADA tank an ADA tank is that it's a tank made by ADA.

Of course were you to have someone make a tank with the same quality materials and workmanship, people would ooh and ahh just as much (if not more) than they do when they see an ADA tank. You just wouldn't call it an ADA.

Simple as that.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to garuf
A good question, not so long ago I posted a thread on here and another forum and on the later forum I recieved a torrent of hate because I'd labeled the tank as ADA because I'd used aquasoil (in my eyes the most important factor as far as it goes) it seems that to me to call a tank an ada tank it has to be entirely ada and therefore costly.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by garuf View Post
A good question, not so long ago I posted a thread on here and another forum and on the later forum I recieved a torrent of hate because I'd labeled the tank as ADA because I'd used aquasoil (in my eyes the most important factor as far as it goes) it seems that to me to call a tank an ada tank it has to be entirely ada and therefore costly.
It wouldn't be an ADA at all. To be called and ADA it needs to be an ADA tank. Lighting, filtration, CO2 can come from else where but if the tank isn't ADA its not and ADA tank.

Could be a Perfecto, AGA, Glass Cages, Custom built, etc...

Aqua soil is purely a substrate and doesn't define what the tank is, if you put AS in a Perfecto tank its still a perfecto tank.

Now the tank could be Amano-esque, Amano inspired etc but not be an ADA tank but still use the Amano stylings.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:40 AM

UglyGenius I think addresses it best.

Okay to say you have ADA 100%. The equipment, substrate, filter, and light all have to match. But my main question is what is the purpose of all of this. You want to create a stunning planted tank and all that rivals that of Amano. Is that not possible with anything not labelled ADA. If someone had a ADA clone with cloned equipment(to match the quality and workmanship) but the aquascape is identical, is someone really going to notice the difference. I mean is the person going to notice the tank is not ADA and say no man that is not an ADA tank, what are you trying to do.

On a unrelated topic, RyeGuy actually is a private seller of plants in my City, the beauty of his plants and aquascape rival those that one would normally see in a ADA tank. And he uses fluorite, Lol. And to boot, I have just recently started purchasing plants from him and I have yet to come across plants that were as healthy and algae free as his.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
Now the tank could be Amano-esque, Amano inspired etc but not be an ADA tank but still use the Amano stylings.

Craig

But if you read my whole post as above the last part. If you scape it like Amano it is not ADA it is Amano based or styled.

I do own all ADA but because it is all ADA doesn't mean I have an Amano based scape. I use my own style that is a mix of Amanos Nature Aquarium style and the Dutch style. All this means is that I have an ADA setup. I don't have Amanos Nature Aquarium theme running though.

But I also don't have an ADA filter and my stand is a DIY knock off of the ADA version. I'm a firm believer in what I find appealing to the eye and nothing comes close to the ADA in my stand point.

On a side note before I went ADA I spent 3.5 weeks trying to get a custom tank built but I couldn't find a quality builder in my area or one that was willing to ship. Now Orlandos tanks will probably be sweet. I will probably get on of the Mini ones I'm sure he will build and set it up with Cal Aqua Gear as they make some nice stuff aswell.

Its all personal preference as to what they have. I also sold my fish room to pay for this setup. I took down over 18 tanks and 600+ gallons of water in return for this 5 gallon pride of joy.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode