Fluval Edge 6 gallon planted advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Edge 6 gallon planted advice

First post here looking for advice..

This is my first planted tank, 6.5 Fluval Edge with ADA Amazonia, 1 male Betta, some Seiryu stone, and a small variety of low tech plants I purchased at Petco. The tank is about 4 months old, cycled with good readings on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I do a 10% to 20% change twice a week.

I like the tank and am totally having fun with it (the most important!), so I am still thinking up how I want it setup. I might take out the stone and put it some other decorations, not sure yet.

So, I have two issues, as you might be able to see by the attached pictures. One is brown and green algae, and the consequent browning of the leaves on the plants. The brown algae gets on everything and if you can tell from the picture, there is a kind of unsightly 1 cm line or so of brown algae just on top of the soil. I've tried getting at it with a sponge during the water change, but it kicks up a lot of dust and I'm worried about getting some sand in there and scratching the glass, so I tread lightly there.

I'm thinking about getting some tank mates for the Betta, with algae control in mind, but I'm not quite sure what mix would be best. My initial thought would be:

2 Ottos
1 Nerite Snail
2 Amano Shrimp

I know the general problems associated with each from reading on the forums, IE, the Ottos are fragile and do well in groups (so I was thinking 2), and the snails poop a ton. I'm thinking the shrimp might help with that. Would this be a good start?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	430577  

Name:	tank2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	430585  

Name:	tank3.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	430593  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Amano shrimp won't help with poop. They only eat algae.

But yes, adding a Nerite and a couple of Amanos should be good. A pair of Otos, as well.

Bear in mind, however, that each Betta is different, some are hyper aggressive and won't tolerate anything else in their tank. Keep a close eye to make sure. Most Bettas are fine with the additions you've proposed, though.

Enjoy your tank!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 03:44 AM
Planted Member

Your tank is not big enough for two otos. You would need a minimum of 10 gallons. Also, you're getting diatoms because your lights are not bright enough. Brown algae/ diatoms grow in low light. Amano shrimp will be far more affective than a nerite snail in this case because nerites don't like to clean substrate, and aren't great at cleaning plants.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback - I will definitely try some amano shrimp and maybe one Otto. Hopefully the Betta will tolerate them.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbetta View Post
Thanks for the feedback - I will definitely try some amano shrimp and maybe one Otto. Hopefully the Betta will tolerate them.
For Otos you must have two. They are very social animals and will suffer if alone.

|
|

|
|
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 06:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
You can't have any otos in a 6 gallon... that is way too small a tank for them, not to mention they do best in groups, ie 3 or more. Just do shrimp and/or snails. You can't really have anymore fish in a 6 gallon without overstocking.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verivus View Post
You can't have any otos in a 6 gallon... that is way too small a tank for them, not to mention they do best in groups, ie 3 or more. Just do shrimp and/or snails. You can't really have anymore fish in a 6 gallon without overstocking.
You could easily have one Oto, but that would be cruel to the Oto.

It's not recommended to have two Otos in a tank that small, but some people do it successfully. You may need to supplement their food. The Edge has pretty good filtration, so as long as you keep up with the 50% weekly water changes, it should be fine.

|
|

|
|
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I will not put any Ottos, and try a couple of Amano shrimp and see how that goes.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 08:02 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
You could easily have one Oto, but that would be cruel to the Oto.

It's not recommended to have two Otos in a tank that small, but some people do it successfully. You may need to supplement their food. The Edge has pretty good filtration, so as long as you keep up with the 50% weekly water changes, it should be fine.
Some oto can't be supplemented. I have had some that ate zucchini in another tank, but the ones I have in my 25 now refuse to eat anything but biofilm and algae. I tried all the typical blanched stuff and even Soilent Green without them touching any of it. As well otos poop a lot. They have a low bioload but it would look unsightly in a 6g.

Obsession is a matter of opinion
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
I'd go with just shrimp in the Edge 6. Otos like a larger tank and stronger flow to be at their best, and they are just a tad too big at ~2".

I'd recommend just keeping shrimp, but if you absolutely must have fish get some boraras brigittae.

current:

| retired:

|

Tags
algae control, tank mates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode