Planted 6 gallon aquastyle advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted 6 gallon aquastyle advice

Hey guys, new member here. I just set up my first planted aquarium a few days ago after much research online, and so far I think it's coming along quite well. The tank is an eheim aquastyle 6 gallon. I dirted the bottom with an inch of miracle grow and red clay, then capped it with another inch of regular black sand. I don't plan on running any co2 on the tank, but am not opposed to dosing with fertilizers and/ or flourish excel to compensate.
So basically I'm here looking for some advice at this point on what would do well in my tank as mid to foreground plants. What should I, if anything be dosing at this point. And livestock suggestions. I was planning on stocking with cherry shrimp and 10 galaxy rasboras. Any advice appreciated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	430129
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ten galaxy rasbora may be a few too many. I have a 6.5 gal long format tank with six, and that seems to be about perfect. Mine also spawn quite a bit so I currently have four fry, up to about 1/4" long, that have survived without me doing anything special. I think that having a good amount of moss and some floaters helps with the fry survival.

Bump: Oh, and I also have cherry shrimp and the CPDs don't bother them at all. It's possible they eat some of the just hatched shrimplets but once they're 4-5 mm long the CPDs don't even look at them.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, I figured 10 might be a few too many. They have a sale on them if you buy 10 where I'm going to get them, but I think I'll just get 6.
Any thought's on plants? Thanks for the reply

Last edited by Z0RN; 02-15-2015 at 05:27 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't know the plant side very well so I can't give you any great recommendations other than to pantomime what others have said. I have java fern, anubias, vals, a sword, a bucephalus, glossostigma, java moss, christmas moss, flame moss, red root floaters, water lettuce and some stowaway duckweed. Pretty much everything is doing fairly well, but I haven't been able to get my area of glosso to carpet very well because the floaters spread so fast that they block out a lot of light. I will say that the sword is probably too big for a nano and my tank is definitely looking more "jungley" than I originally intended.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hmm, alright thanks. I'll look into glosso as a carpeting plant then, I won't add any floaters to block the light though.
I got up this morning and my tanks looking really murky for some reason. I put in some aquarium bacteria and fish food to try doing a fish less cycle a couple hours ago. Any idea why it's looking like this? I am only running my lights for 6 hours atm because I'm aware algae is a big problem for walstead tanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	430521
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 12:26 AM
Planted Member

Aren't you worried about having the tank so close to the stove? I would think that erratic heating would cause a problem.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

If it becomes an issue I'll move the tank, as of right now I'm not worried.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 05:17 AM
Algae Grower

Don't cook bacon on that burner.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode