Newbie seeking advice. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie seeking advice.

Hey everyone.
My friend hooked me up with a 3 gallon tank and set it all up to be a regular tank. I then found this site and looked in to aquascaping. So now I got some java moss and set up my tank with that and some rocks and drift wood. I changed the light out and got a LED light, The light puts around 6 watts and is 5000k-6000k. I don't want to add a CO2 set up at the moment. Iím looking to use excel instead and keep to low light plants. The tank is over stocked at the moment with guppys and some ghost shrimp. I have an air stone that my friend set up. The only thing iv done so far was add Quick start and Fluval plant nutrients. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Some questions I have are recommendation on fertilizers? is excel is worth it? What are some good low light carpeting plants besides Java moss? I got Java moss at Petco and it has some brown in it. How can I make it green again? Thanks again. Here's how my set up looks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 01:00 AM
Algae Grower

Most Anubias variants are Low light and don't require CO2. Java Fern is another one. They are both slow growers but for your first tank, and being that small, Slow growers are a good thing. You don't have to trim them so much.

I only saw 4 guppies. That is not too bad on stocking, but guppies breed like rabbits, so keep your eye open. Make sure you do your water changes regularly and you should be fine.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 01:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Low light no CO2 tank you don't really need fertilizer the fish and regular water changes will supply that. Excel is a good algaecide and worth using, it will give your plants an extra boost. Look into a HOB filter, the internal filter you have takes up a lot of real estate. Also its a bit big and having it in the substrate will restrict the flow and probably suck up some substrate and get clogged. A small sponge filter is another option, since you already have a air pump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyD View Post
Most Anubias variants are Low light and don't require CO2. Java Fern is another one. They are both slow growers but for your first tank, and being that small, Slow growers are a good thing. You don't have to trim them so much.

I only saw 4 guppies. That is not too bad on stocking, but guppies breed like rabbits, so keep your eye open. Make sure you do your water changes regularly and you should be fine.
Thanks for the information. I want to do a carpeting plant I love the look. There's 5 guppies in the tank and 4 shrimp. I do water changes every 3-4 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
Low light no CO2 tank you don't really need fertilizer the fish and regular water changes will supply that. Excel is a good algaecide and worth using, it will give your plants an extra boost. Look into a HOB filter, the internal filter you have takes up a lot of real estate. Also its a bit big and having it in the substrate will restrict the flow and probably suck up some substrate and get clogged. A small sponge filter is another option, since you already have a air pump.
The filter is the one that came with the tank. I do like the idea of a HOB filter. That might be my next purchase.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 08:20 PM
Algae Grower

I would move some of the guppies, it seems pretty overstocked if it's 3 gallons with 5 guppies
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Took some advice and changed up my tank. Found a semi local aquarium shop and picked up Excel HOB filter, some new plants also changed my substrate to Eco-complete. Let me know what you guys think.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:47 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Welcome to the hobby! You're off to a great start.

If those plants with the large leaves are amazon swords, they will outgrow the tank. Also, those frilly plants look to be hygrophila difformis which will also outgrow the tank.

It may help you to do some reading about the basics of aquascaping. The aquarium can be broken into the background (back of the aquarium, inhabited by tall plants), the midground (middle of the aquarium, inhabited by moderately sized plants), and the foreground (front of the aquarium, inhabited by small plants and carpeting plants, which are plants that spread out to cover the substrate). Hardscape materials--wood and rocks--can be used in many different ways to produce certain aesthetics in the aquarium.

There are different styles of aquascaping, including nature/Amano, iwagumi, Dutch, and jungle. The nature aquarium seeks to replicate a scene from nature. An iwagumi aquarium is built around an arrangement of rocks (to certain specifications) and usually uses shorter plants. The Dutch aquarium is based around the aquarium as a garden and focuses on lush plants that contrast and complement each other (it also has specific guidelines). A jungle aquarium is usually lower tech and focuses on creating a lush and natural appearance. This article shows examples of the above styles as well as others. You can pick a style and stick with it, blend multiple together, or abandon them altogether. They can be great inspiration.

It's also notable that nano aquariums frequently make use of plants with finer leaves and small fish to give the appearance of a larger space. Google "nano planted tanks" and you'll see what I mean.

I hope this helped happy aquascaping!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode