10 Gallon SA Choices - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question 10 Gallon SA Choices

Hello all! I haven't been on in a while, but I need some input about tankmates. The tank is a standard ten gallon, and the fish haven't been added yet. Black sand, driftwood, also no plants yet (soon!). So far, I want at least five marbled hatchets and something for the middle/bottom. If you guys could suggest a fish ~1" or smaller with complementary colors that don't mind being seen, or even more shy, it would be great! Bonus if they're also from SA. I can feed anything but live, and I can do that if I could get some cultures. Also, not too expensive please?
Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
They might eat a fish that small. You probably will need a lid because they like to jump and you might want to get a 20 gallon or bigger for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Right now, they're in a 20 gallon community. Are you thinking about the silver hatchets? Marble hatchets grow to max 1.3", and are supposed to be very peaceful. We have guppies and even pygmy gouramis with them, and they're doing great. The nano fish list on here even has a plus for them on the 10 gallon listing...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Might of been thinking of those.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Any suggestions for the other fish? Dwarf cichlids, tetras....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Google AqAdvisor. I think you are close to a high stocking level/w 5 of those Hatchets.
The old school way of telling if you are overstocked was to put your fish in and not use any current or air stone in there. Just let it alone for a couple of hrs and see how the fish do. When it gets to the point that they come up to the top looking for air, its too many fish for the tank. Obviously this can't be left without current for ever. It would not get filtered. This is just for the test.
One really big advantage to using this way to tell is that when the power goes out...
no problem for the fish to breath. Still have a heater issue but not the oxygen problem.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Get a pair of M. ramirezi or, Apistogramma sp. or, six pygmy cories. In a tank that size both the hatchets and cories will swim in both areas. Hatchets will swim in both the top and middle while the cories will swim mostly in the bottom and middle, occasionally coming to the surface to breathe. And tetra-wise get ember tetras. They are boraras sized and a bright red/orange and will probably use all three levels.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Dwarf Cories!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I like using AqAdvisor in some cases, but it unfortunately doesn't account for plants, which some people say can double your stocking capabilities. I love, love, love M. Ramirezi 'longfin'. Would a pair be fine with the hatchets? If I could, I would like some embers, like a group of 6. Is this plausible? While I love the cories, none of the LFS here carry them, and I really would prefer not to have to ship because of the shipping costs.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 09:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
The rams should be fine but don't expect them to breed - not saying the won't but, don't be surprised if thy don't. I've personally never seen any pygmy/dwarf species of cory for sale in LFS around me - granted, I live in MS. If your LFS is worth its salt it will order them for you for a slight mark-up. I'd do ONE ram pair or, FIVE-SIX cories, THREE hatchets, and EIGHT embers. Get the largest filter you can that won't create too much flow. Add the rams last if you do them, and after your tank is a few months old. Plant it heavy and enjoy it!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 09:56 PM
Algae Grower

I don't know if your looking for SA invert options but i think a mystery snail might be cool. In my experience they aren't very hardy, especially if you compare them to nerite species, but they could probably help with algae. Up in MN it seems pygmy cories have gotten more popular, a year ago my lfs had them like once a month, but now they always have one of the 3 species in a tank up front right by the register.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hmmm... Perhaps I should scrap the ram idea and just bulk up the numbers of the embers and hatchets, with some shrimp? The LFS in Louisiana don't seem to carry any of the dwarves, but I can look into it. I like all of them, so whichever are cheapest, I suppose. I may just do the cories and hatchets, because I love catfish!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode