Reviving an old JBJ 12G, thoughts/suggestions? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Reviving an old JBJ 12G, thoughts/suggestions?

Well I have decided that my first step back into this hobby will be to convert my old 12g nano-reef into a planted tank. Figured I would save some money and use what I have laying around even though I would love to get a setup with LED (limited to small size as I will have to move tank during summer months)

I think I will be using around 20-25 pounds of Fluorite and/or Eco-complete plant substrate, and will be replacing the bulbs (2x24W PC's) with two 10Ks or perhaps a 10k and 6700k. Would like to have a nice dense foreground (something really short given the tanks small size, with either rock or driftwood as a center piece.

Also will be ordering the ingredients to make some good ol' PMDD for liquid fert, and plan on using a DIY CO2.

Has anyone used a JBJ 12G Nano for a planted aquarium? Any thoughts or suggestions for substrate/filter (planning on using foam blocks mainly in the rear filter compartment.

Will also need to replace/upgrade the pump that I currently have, what is a good flow rate for a tank of this size? I am hoping to eventually have a pair of Blue Rams and possibly a few tetras once the tank is established for a while.

With 48Watts of PC and CO2 will I have any limitations as far as foreground plants?

Any suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Algae Grower

I loved my JBJ 12 when I had it. But that was for reef i just got back into aquariums and am trying out planted this time around.

Too bad Nano-tuners went out of business they were offering some nice lighting upgrade kits, they had kits to add 1 - 2 more CF lights to the stock hood as well as HQI kits and LED kits that all went in the stock hood for the whole jbj nano cube series. There may be others out there that are doing the same thing now though. Best of all they were cheap.

inTank makes a nice media rack for the overflow of the jbj to allow for easy stacking of filter media and stuff like purigen or other things too.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have seen cubes used as planted tanks, though they are traditionally used as reef tanks (like you had). They make awesome planted tanks because of their unique shape. From what I experience...shallow tanks always are better for planted unless you have lots and lots of penetrating light. Watts don't matter too much. Since it is going to be your first tank in a while I would stick to some easier, fast growing stuff. If you get slow growing plants and only have one tank, it might be kind of tantalizing waiting to see stuff grow. I just recently set up a tank with Hydrocotyle "Japan", it is like clovers underwater. It would be an easy start for foreground plants. From what I can tell it already has formed several new leaves and it's been just a few days since the tank was setup. What other plants were you thinking of using? If you don't have anything in mind maybe we can all help out and chime in a bit. Also if you are looking to buy plants soon, a lot of members just posted in the Buy/Sell section of the forum for Spring sales. I got tons of plants for under $40 this month.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I will be getting the tank from my folks place this weekend. Will be a while until it is all set up and ready to roll as I will have to order everything and also make sure it is all in good working order (at least the lights)...

I really like the look of Glosso and Dwarf Baby-tears, also a fan of E. tennelus (spelling?), Marsilea is also nice.... I would prefer the Dwarf baby-tears or glosso since they stay so short...

Would like some Crypt. spirilis and some red plants in there (maybe Ludwigia?)

So many options, definitely excited to get a tank set up again its all rushing back to my head pretty quick!

What is a GPH rate for a pump on a tank of this size?

Thanks!

Kyle

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode