2.5 Gallon, take 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5 Gallon, take 2

Well I became a little lazy with the trimming in my 2.5 gallon and the HC got out of control. The whole carpet started lifting up in the corners of the tank. Coincidentally, I found a nice little light at Home Depot last week and I wound up thinking to myself, "why not just start all over again?"

Yesterday I ripped everything out, fixed up the horrible paint job I did with the black background, picked up some rocks and needle rotala at my LFS and now we have this:

Here's the 27w light I bought for $20:

Shrimpy:

And Puffer, who was a little camera shy at the time:

Things that stayed same are the Eco-complete substrate, Red Sea nano filter, HC and my DIY CO2. The only inhabitants are still the one DP and two cherry shrimp which have gotten HUGE, they're actually bigger than the puffer now. The Marineland heater was reduced in price from my last LFS visit so I decided to pick it up along with the rocks and rotala.

I'll post some more pics once everything starts growing in. Also, if anyone knows what the plant in the back right corner is, I would like to know. It came out of my other tank and I have no idea what the name is, but it grows like mad. The needle rotala is the plant in the middle and on the left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
nice start! the plants look great
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice lay out! How long has puffer being living with shrimp? I hear they like to eat little shirmps! Of course with the shrimp being bigger than puffer maybe he's safe.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ten gal planted:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:41 AM
Algae Grower

I like the rotala...I wish my local LFS's would carry some neat plants like that. I'm gonna have to watch how yours does and then see if I can pick some up on the S&S
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix-cry View Post
Nice lay out! How long has puffer being living with shrimp? I hear they like to eat little shirmps! Of course with the shrimp being bigger than puffer maybe he's safe.
They've been living together happily for at least 6 months now...he never bothered them aside from the first few days, after which he decided they were too fast to be food. I think it helps that they were in there first and then I introduced the puffer.

On a side note, that Marineland heater really isn't doing the job, and I'm thinking it was a waste of 20 bucks. It said 2-5 gallons on the label but it's barely keeping the temp at 75 and it's factory set at 79. I might have to go back to my old reliable HOB cheapo heater which has done the job the best out of the three heaters I've used in this tank so far.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

nice tank. thats a really red shrimp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some guy View Post
On a side note, that Marineland heater really isn't doing the job....
....I might have to go back to my old reliable HOB cheapo heater which has done the job the best out of the three heaters I've used in this tank so far.
marineland heater as in the one thats supposed to be shatter proof?

and by old reliable hob cheapo heater, you mean that small flat heater they sell at drsfostersmith for like 7 dollars?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
nice tank. thats a really red shrimp.

marineland heater as in the one thats supposed to be shatter proof?

and by old reliable hob cheapo heater, you mean that small flat heater they sell at drsfostersmith for like 7 dollars?
Yes, the shatterproof Marineland one. The cheap one was a Hagen "Elite" 25 watt heater. The out-of-water part was made of the junkiest looking plastic you can imagine, but it did a great job of keeping the temperature where I wanted it. It too was about 7 dollars when I bought it, the price may have gone up.

I have some bad news though; I woke up this morning to a dead shrimp, and my puffer seems to be sick (again). He was sick before with similar symptoms, he isn't responding to me waving my hand in front of the glass, spends most of his time floating listlessly near the surface, and has no interest in food. I don't think there are contaminants in the water as I used water from the same bucket in my 5.5 gallon and everybody in there is fine. I rinsed out the gravel when I changed the tank to get rid of all the poo but my ammonia is reading 0 ppm at the moment. I'm just really confused.

Hopefully I won't wake up to a ghost tank tomorrow.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 04:00 AM
Algae Grower

good looking tank, nice shrimp .
oh one question, whats your experience with the needle rotala .. always wanted them haha
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill|408 View Post
good looking tank, nice shrimp .
oh one question, whats your experience with the needle rotala .. always wanted them haha
I've only had it a week and I love it already. It's growing like crazy, some stems are already twice as big as in the first pics. I'll post some new pics some time next week, although there isn't really much growth yet besides that.

My puffer bought the farm a couple days ago :'( I don't think I'll be getting any fish for this tank for at least a month or two until the HC grows out and things stabilize. My LFS has these neat little tiny rasboras every once in a while, Boraras maculatus I believe, maybe they'll be in stock when I finally decide to get fish again.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 05:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Your plants looks amazing!!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 04:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Rotala wallichii on the left (reddish one), but what's the greenish one on the right?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 04:21 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
Rotala wallichii on the left (reddish one), but what's the greenish one on the right?
Rotala green 'needle leaf' maybe?....

-Chris

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
Rotala green 'needle leaf' maybe?....
Looks like Mayaca fluviatilis to me.

Your tank looks nice. I hope you'll post updates as it fills in.

Tags
2.5 gallon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode