New nano and lots of questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question New nano and lots of questions

Okay so I'm new to this forum and the planted tank world. I have an aqueon evolve 4 and would like to make it planted. i don't necessarily want to buy a co2 system for it so ill do any plants that can live without it. im wondering if the light that it comes with is adequate for the plants i want (low tech i guess). please, if you can, give me a "what i would do" scenario of everything you would get for this tank to make it successful. btw if this is a factor in anything i am planning to make it a betta tank. ik the pump it comes with is very strong. i contacted Aqueon and they sent me a smaller pump (no questions asked) and the water flow is perfect now. not an expert on cycling either. i totally wouldn't mind a super long and detailed response cause ill be honest with myself, i really need good advice. thanks for reading! i hope you can help me out! feel free to PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 08:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

welcome to the forum! as for low light plants, I recommend java moss, java fern and anubias nana. for cycling, leave the tank running for like 2-3 weeks. hope that answered your questions.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 09:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
^^ That should do it, especially for a betta. The cycle may not entirely finish with no livestock (source of ammonia), however, but for one betta, a fish-in cycle should complete no problem as long as you keep up with water changes. Speaking of:

Do a 50% water change weekly.

Oh and you have a good heater, right? Get a proper adjustable one, not a "fixed" heater. Bettas need heat, right around 78 degrees, no matter what the idiots at the chain stores tell you.

Enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

---------------------------------

|
|

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
^^ That should do it, especially for a betta. The cycle may not entirely finish with no livestock (source of ammonia), however, but for one betta, a fish-in cycle should complete no problem as long as you keep up with water changes. Speaking of:

Do a 50% water change weekly.

Oh and you have a good heater, right? Get a proper adjustable one, not a "fixed" heater. Bettas need heat, right around 78 degrees, no matter what the idiots at the chain stores tell you.

Enjoy!
I honestly don't get how to do the cycling. I know its to grow BB but I hear people do lots of water tests on it during the process? what should i do exactly? Nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, GH, KH, PH, ammonium (anything other than that)? What normal levels should I look for and how should I go about testing/treating the water? I've read countless articles about it but I guess it just hasn't really sunk in yet. I'm going to do more research on it but would really like to know how you would go about this process...

I do have a mini bow "fixed" heater for it right now but if the temp fluctuates too much I will get an adjustable one. Thanks for your response!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Don't go nuts over all those tests. For one fish you could get away with test strips. You want ammonia and nitrIte to stay 0. In the beginning you'll get some readings on both for the most part. Maybe not with just one fish. NitrAte can be 10-20. If numbers start to climb, do a partial water change. Look for bottled bacteria that has nitrospira, don't get it if it's not listed. I believe tetra safe start is a good product. Squirt what it says in the tank or filter media. I wouldn't stress about GH KH pH too much it'll drive you nuts. If you're on city water you'll need a dechlorinator such as prime for initial fill and water changes. Personally I'd buy 2 or 3 feeder guppies, or rosies or something and let them cycle the tank for a few weeks while using the tetra safe start. Then once you're not showing ammonia/nitrite levels take them out and put in your betta.

As for plants, Personally I hate java moss it likes to get all over but it is a viable option. Crypts, anubias as others have already said. Look for some hornwort you can toss in and let float. It'll help take out the undesirable waste from the fish while you cycle. Even a small one inch piece from someone you know or something will do. You can also plant it in the sub and it will grow. Good luck!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeroo View Post
I honestly don't get how to do the cycling. I know its to grow BB but I hear people do lots of water tests on it during the process? what should i do exactly? Nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, GH, KH, PH, ammonium (anything other than that)? What normal levels should I look for and how should I go about testing/treating the water? I've read countless articles about it but I guess it just hasn't really sunk in yet. I'm going to do more research on it but would really like to know how you would go about this process...

I do have a mini bow "fixed" heater for it right now but if the temp fluctuates too much I will get an adjustable one. Thanks for your response!
You can get as hardcore as you want. But honestly, for a single betta? I wouldn't stress about it. Bettas are VERY hardy about their water conditions. Which is how they survive the horrible nonsense advise given out at chain stores, in those tiny cups.

Use tap water, treated with Prime (don't bother with any other dechlorinator/treatment, Prime is the best by far.) at 2 drops per gallon. For the first MONTH do a 50% water change every 3 days. One betta in a 4 gallon tank isn't going to produce so much waste that any of your figures will get out of hand. After a month, you can either "consider it cycled" or get some ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test strips and confirm. Just follow the instructions on the package. At that point, reduce your water changes to 50% weekly, and you're all set from then on.

|
|

|
|
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all! I'm so excited to get this thing set up, but I'm forcing myself to be patient lol. I might be adopting my moms betta. He's currently in a cube of water (that's it) and she wants me to take him cause she feels bad for it. I wanted a plain red or black orchid crowntail but I feel bad for him too so I might just keep him. He's a double-tailed betta. Hes a light pinkish purple with blue hues and a small amount of speckles on his dorsal. I can get a pic if you want to see him? His colors get super vibrant and he flares hardcore when he sees himself in the mirror. It's too cute.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Great! Be sure to post some pics of your setup once you have it all planted. (even before the betta is introduced)

|
|

|
|
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Great! Be sure to post some pics of your setup once you have it all planted. (even before the betta is introduced)
Okay will do! Still debating on every aspect of the contents of the tank besides the betta plus I'm going to be away for two weeks so it might be awhile before I set everything up and get pics.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode