A first time 5 gallon planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile A first time 5 gallon planted tank

I want to apologize first off for the length of this thread. I have a lot of questions regarding planted tanks, especially one this small. My first question is about my choices of plants. I was thinking of going with Java moss, micro swords and dwarf Sagittaria and was wondering if they would work in my small tank without having to go with c02? The next obviously would be what added filtration would I need, carbon packs or whatever. Also I found a nice sea chem fluorite substrate for planted tanks and was wondering if that would be good or if y'all can recommend something better/ different. Lastly I was wondering if I could use the led lights that come with the tank( Fluval Spec 5 gallon) or if I need something better. I am also undecided on if I am going to go with fish or shrimp. Please feel to offer any tips/advice. This will be my first planted tank as well as a tank this small. My last tank was a 75 gallon cichlid tank, so a huge change for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 03:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Those plants will be okay without co2. I don't own the fluval spec so I'll let someone else answer on the light. I don't put carbon in my planted tanks, but its heavily planted. If you go with shrimp, adding some purigen with the stock filter media would be a good idea.

Have fun, planted tanks are awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Algae Grower

Yes,

Here is a pic of mine. Been up for 3 weeks.

5.5 Gallon Marineland tank with Glass top, Aquaclear 20 HOB and Finnex Stingray 16" w/50W Hydor heater. No live stock yet.
Plants are Anubius Nana, Anacharis, Water Sprite, Java Moss, and other assorted plants from a friends tank.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info that was given, will be very helpful. In regards to going with shrimp, how long should I cycle my tank before adding them? Also, shouldnI do a dry setup or does it really not matter?

Bump: I also have another question. In addition to the three types of plants that I already mentioned, could I possibly add a couple 2-3 more and not worry about over crowding?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 11:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceBoss View Post
Thanks for the info that was given, will be very helpful. In regards to going with shrimp, how long should I cycle my tank before adding them? Also, shouldnI do a dry setup or does it really not matter?

Bump: I also have another question. In addition to the three types of plants that I already mentioned, could I possibly add a couple 2-3 more and not worry about over crowding?
I wouldn't bother dry starting. You need to cycle the tank until ammonia>nitrite>nitrate. So zero levels of ammonia and nitrite. There's tons of info here about fishless cycling, check it out! You can put however many plants you want in there within reason! It's all how you place them!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good to know about the plant situation, just wanted to double check. I read that the fish less cycling takes about 2 weeks more or less. Does that sound about right? I thank y'all for the info once again and will be posting pictures as soon as I get started.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 12:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Read up on it. You'll need ammonia with no surfactants or perfumes or anything.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode