What to house? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
What to house?

I have a 5 gallon tank lying around that I wanted to plant java ferns and anchor moss in. Maybe some other plants, but just basic low light stuff. I'm just unsure what to house as far as fish, frogs, or shrimp. Any opinions? I was thinking African Dwarf frogs would be cool since I don't want to put them in my main tank. But I think a dwarf puffer would be cool too since they are adorable. A betta wouldn't be bad and it would be easy to keep. I was thinking of just putting a bunch of shrimp in it too, but I plan on having shrimp in my main tank already. I'm not sure if any crayfish are acceptable, they seem to be a pain. I also have no idea about craps or anything like that. Just looking for something interesting to house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 02:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have a betta in a 5.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
I have a betta in a 5.
Yeah, I know they are popular for this size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
The shrimp idea is good. Those little cherry shrimp are really cool. Shrimp are very entertaining when you don't have any other threatening fish around. Even glass or ghost shrimp are really interesting to watch. Shrimp come in many colors and types. Some are easy to breed, some are not.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyke View Post
The shrimp idea is good. Those little cherry shrimp are really cool. Shrimp are very entertaining when you don't have any other threatening fish around. Even glass or ghost shrimp are really interesting to watch. Shrimp come in many colors and types. Some are easy to breed, some are not.
Yeah, I thought shrimp would be cool but I do plan on housing a handful of them in my main tank. I thought about micro crabs, but they seem to be expensive. I may just do more shrimp in it!

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I wanted cherry shrimp too but I read not to with the betta.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Frogs AND a Betta, perhaps?

Shrimp would be cool, too, but their survival would depend entirely on the betta's demeanor. Some bettas would be fine, others will go on a rampage and eat them all. Only one way to find out...

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:42 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
A pea puffer would be great. They're very personable little things. I have mine with shrimp. They are known for munching on them though (it's hit or miss, like with bettas).
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 01:17 AM
Algae Grower

Puffer all the way. Little fish big personality. Only thing is you are going to need live or frozen food. I feed my puffers frozen blood worms and grindal worms occasionally.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Puffers are cute and hilarious, but they're aggressive little bastards. I don't think I'd want anything else that I care about on the same side of the tank.

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 05:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
True, but they're awesome little psychos. I vote for a pea puffer as well. Especially if you have some snails available.

Pimp Club Member #313
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 08:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Maybe a mix of nano fish like micro rasboras or pygmy corys with shrimps? some shrimplets willl survive. (Hopefully)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:49 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Puffers are cute and hilarious, but they're aggressive little bastards. I don't think I'd want anything else that I care about on the same side of the tank.
Lol, yep. I have a 10 gallon with 3 that is heavily planted with lots of cover. Two of them get along great, but one of them is extremely aggressive. He is leaving scars on the others. I watched him attack one of the 2 peaceful ones and actually get a hold of him enough where he couldn't escape. The one he had actually puffed up and when he did get away from him, he had a pretty bad gouge out of him. The nice ones are going to a friend with a 30 gallon puffer tank tomorrow. I'm going to keep the evil one in the 5.5 I have by himself. He's mean, but he has character. Nothing is safe with him, except maybe himself. So if you do decide to get a puffer, I would plan on one and nothing else. He makes my Mbuna look gentle.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I don't mind a single fish, so the puffer may be a good choice.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 04:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieshrimpkeeper View Post
Maybe a mix of nano fish like micro rasboras or pygmy corys with shrimps? some shrimplets willl survive. (Hopefully)
Neither of those are real nano fish. It's true that they are small, but in a 5 gallon, there is nothing for them to do but stand in one spot. If you've seen these kinds of fish in a large tank, you'll know what I mean.

Pimp Club Member #313

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode