6.6 "Bookshelf" tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
6.6 "Bookshelf" tank

I was at Petco a few days ago and noticed a rather interesting looking tank. It was a 24inch long 6.6 Gallon 'bookshelf' tank. I didn't get it that day but I went home and thought about it and a few days later I now have it set up on the peninsula in the kitchen/dinning room.

I'm far from having it set up as I like it... it seems as though it has a lot of potential... me unraveling that, well, that's a whole 'nother story.

The tank came with a no name filter that I immediately swapped out for an Aquaclear 20. The light it came with is a 15watt which gives it 2.5watts per gallon... Is this enough to support a planted tank. The local fish/pet stores do not seem to sell lighting much better than this At least not in the size bulb I need.

I have a heater and I set up a CO2 system on the tank (This is the system I'm using http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754083 )

So far I have a piece of driftwood in the tank. Some flourite substrate, dwarf sagittaria, cryptocornyne and a very failed attempt to plant some dwarf baby tears ... which, btw, are floating about the top of the tank or getting sucked up into the filter I plan on getting some bacopa, anubias, and maybe anacharis as all of those seem to be fairly easy plants to grow.

Here's a picture of the tank taken the other day

I'll post better pictures when I get around to actually scaping the tank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
looks nice, if you have any problems with the light there are quite a few 24in fixtures about so i don' think you will have a problem there. just out of curiosity what are the dimensions of the tank

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

The tank is bowfront, so the measurements are that exact: Approx. Size: 24-1/2 x 9 x 10.

Here's a link to a site that sells the tank http://www.fish.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=701003

And more pictures, the water is clearing up! I still have more plants to add but it's Sunday and I didn't have time to search before the stores closed...

I would like to attach some anubias to the wood and put some bacopa on the sides and in the back.

Any other low light plants that might help fill it in?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
too bad looks like it is acrylic. I really love glass tank

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
That's a cool tank!

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/96%)
How much was it. I see from you link that they sell it for $50. What does Petco charge for it?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Petco has them for $49.99... Though I hear they'll have them on sale sometimes for $35. I have also heard that some Petco stores will sell their display models for a lot cheaper!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 03:19 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
that is a really cool tank. I like the the title of it too... "bookshelve". Now if it actually fit on a bookshelve and could be supported by one.. that would be even neater.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
There have been some bad reviews about this tank scratching really easily.

I think I'd stay away from bacopa. In low light, it tends to get really ugly and loses its lower leaves.. but maybe you'll have better luck. What's the grass plant that you planted? I'm guessing dwarf sag? You could try some crypts in the corners instead of stems... that way you wont have to worry about trimming frequently in this low tank.

PS - Smart move switching out the filter. Keep us updated!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Looks nice!
I have one of these tanks and they do scratch easily. I keep it simple with sunset hygrow and some ludwigia. I was never able to get a good scape with the tank tho. Some people can make this tank look like a 55 with the right plants and placement.
Good luck with it.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
the tank looks great! I like the scape and choice of plants.

but just so you should know, thats a 9.54g tank, not a 6.6. i saw the spec out of the corner of my eye, and i was like "wait... that sounds bigger than my 10g!" so i did the cubic inches to gallons conversion, and yours is 9.54g, or 2204 cubic inches. A standard 10g is 2400 cubic inches.

Wilson

- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
yeah i think if you do an iwagumi type set up it will definitely make it look a lot bigger. and you wouldn't have to worry about trimming too many stems. get some dwarf hairgrass or let the HC grow out and it'll look beautiful with the dimensions.

and if its in the kitchen peninsula and you have an iwagumi set up you can look right through it and use it as a divider sort of.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 02:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by demosthenes View Post
the tank looks great! I like the scape and choice of plants.

but just so you should know, thats a 9.54g tank, not a 6.6. i saw the spec out of the corner of my eye, and i was like "wait... that sounds bigger than my 10g!" so i did the cubic inches to gallons conversion, and yours is 9.54g, or 2204 cubic inches. A standard 10g is 2400 cubic inches.
The tank is marketed as a 6.6 gallon tank. Maybe the dimensions are wrong?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

The tank is a bowfront so that might be why adding up the dimensions is giving you the wrong numbers!

I replaced the light with a Coralife 10,000K 360* output 18" 15watt lightbulb... not sure if this is better or worse I honestly don't know much about lighting.

Since the last pictures I planted some Anubias nana, Bacopa (not sure if it's moneywort or carolina) and some Ludwigia. I also have/had some Dwarf Sag and Crypts planted.

Pictures:

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Not much of an update. I planted some anacharis in the back.

These are my two Threadfin Rainbows... I've moved them into this tank and will be getting more in the upcoming weeks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode