Dry start help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Dry start help

Please be gentle. I'm new to this forum, and trying my first real planted tank. (By which I mean more than 1 lonely java fern.) I thought I'd try dwarf hairgrass with a dry start, and 3 days in my plants look miserable. I'm using a fluval spec v with an additional led strip. Aquasoil Amazonia substrate with API root tabs and I just dosed some Flourish trace. Maybe excessive, but the plants were so green and lush when the arrived and now look miserable. I don't know if perhaps these are growing pains as they acclimate to the tank or if I'm really doing them in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum!

Were these plants the ones from Petsmart that come in little bags? Or did you buy them submersed?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 12:38 AM
Planted Member

no need to add fertilizer for DSM esp. when you are using new soil, the AS itself should have more than enough. Too much fertilizer could burn the plants (due to osmosis?) If this is the case, dilute the concentration by adding water then siphon most out.

if you still want to add fertilizer once a while, at least use 1/10 of normal dosage, or use old fish tank water.

Joe [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I bought them online, I've been in contact with store owner but could ask to be sure. I think they might have been submersed. I'll see if I can't dilute the ferts. I keep reading such bad things about the spec v lights. I think I'm going to look at the finnex fugeray 16".
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I personally would say acclimation (transition to emersed )is the issue. I've done a few dry starts (doing one now).. It's disheartening to see the brown but I would say.. Just cut the leaves short, this stops mold and encourages new growth. Also keep your photocycle high at about 14 hours. Then just leave it covered. The worse thing about dsm is patience. Only spray water from now on aqua soil is brilliant at dry starts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 07:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Welcome to the Dry Start Method.

First off, always ask how the plants were grown that way you're prepared for the worst. Usually, plants for aquatics are grown emmersed and not submerged (though there are exceptions).

Second, I'd definitely try to get rid of the excess ferts - the soil you have would be more than enough for nutrients for the plants. You can accomplish this either after your plants have grown in more via multiple, large water changes, OR doing it now by rinsing the soil and restarting. Your call.

Third, cut the dead growth off, have a long photoperiod (14 to 18 hours, I'd say) and mist the hell out of that tank - especially if you just cover it with seran wrap. It'll take time (like 4-6 weeks), but it's well worth the wait.

Lastly, check in the forums for some advice on hair grass. There's bound to be a few threads, like this one: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=101107

Good luck!

"Personally, I would be delighted if there was a life after death, especially if it permitted me to continue to learn about this world and others, if it gave me a chance to discover how history turns out." ~Carl Sagan, Cosmos

"I can't tell you how many people say they were turned off from science because of a science teacher that completely sucked out all the inspiration and enthusiasm they had for the course." ~Neil deGrasse Tyson.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the words of advice guys! Going to ride this out and see if I can revive some of the plants. I have better lighting coming in tomorrow that I'm sure will make my grass happier than spec v stock. Fingers, toes and fins crossed.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I've never tried a dry start. I just wanted to say I like your background.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

|
| Mr Aqua 7.5 Cube Paludarium | Zoo Med Nano Tall & Small Tall Vivariums
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh thanks! I plan to backlight it. It's a patterned window film off Amazon, reminded me of waves. I think it was around $12 for the 2 ft length. There's some really beautiful ones out there.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 06:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You really dont want intense lighting until your plants root. It will take some time, really. You'll likely lose all old leaves. As was mentioned earlier, I think you also have over-ferted. Plants w/ no roots cant take up nutrients, and are likely to be burned. DSM is about giving the plants an opportunity to root, not for plants to grow quickly.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've taken out the root tabs which were mostly whole and as I was going through the plants last night to trim away some really dead parts and while I was looking with the magnifying glass I found that quite a few of the clumps had sprouted a runner. Even some that I thought were way long gone. I'm keeping hopeful.

The latest issue is some of the plants have a white, Web like mold. It's little pinpricks worth but I cut those away. Anyone have any experience with this? Is a hydrogen peroxide solution too strong? Is there a recommended amount of time to air tank out daily so humidity doesn't over accumulate?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 10:54 AM
Algae Grower

Use rubbing alcohol just with cotton wool.. It's strong enough to kill the mold but it's fine for the grass. I don't think it was necessary to remove the root caps.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Algae Grower

If there is a lot of condensation on the sides of your tank then humidity is too high. Just open for 10 mins once or twice
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So as an update, my patience has paid off. I removed some DHG, added some dwarf baby tears, and it looks like the DHG is growing pretty thick and full of little runners. I can see by the glass where it is taking root. Here's a photo:

Tags
dhg dwarf hair grass, dry start method, fluval spec v

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode