jbj picotope, finnex 4 gallon, or 2.5 gallon tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
jbj picotope, finnex 4 gallon, or 2.5 gallon tank

I was set on getting a 5.5 gallon tank, but now I'm seriously considering a jbj picotope, a finnex 4 or a 2.5 gallon tank because of the size. The 5.5 isn't going to work. I was wanting to get opinion on the tanks, plus share a few concerns.

If I go with the pico or the finnex, then I know I'll have to deal with water evaporation. With a 2.5 I can get a top.
Also the lighting with the finnex and the jbj. I can't remember how many watts the finnex is, but the jbj is only 9 watts, and it's a 50/50 bulb... Can you even get a freshwater bulb for it? What can you grow with that amount of light? I'm sure I'll have more questions as the post develops, but I'd like to hear from people that own these different tanks and what their opinions are.

thanks in advance.

-----
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I really love my picotope, I top it off every other day (I just keep a jug of ready made water in the room). I had to add an extra light cause the 50/50 wasn't good enough.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What kind of light did you add?

-----
Brad

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5g versatile.
Comes with it's own lid, etc, and lots of scapes done.
Also easily de-rimmed if you'd like, but 2.5g's are really nice IMO

||
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/95%)
I own the picotope and if i were you i would go for the pico but make sure its toms and not the acrylic one since they scratch.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I added a 26 watt CF in a normal desk lamp, you can see it by going to the picotope link in my sig.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy_Fun View Post
I own the picotope and if i were you i would go for the pico but make sure its toms and not the acrylic one since they scratch.
I thought the Toms was the acrylic one and JBJ was the glass one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix-cry View Post
I added a 26 watt CF in a normal desk lamp, you can see it by going to the picotope link in my sig.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

-----
Brad

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Algae Grower

I have a finnex and love it. It is a slick little setup. The light it comes with is 13 watts, you will need to add additional light if you want more than just low light plants. I loved it so much I have another in the works with a third in the future for a grand finale. Definitely get a glass tank. JBJ is glass. I would also choose the finnex 4 because its larger and gives you more room to play....jmo
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm still undecided, but I really do like the Finnex 4 gallon.

-----
Brad

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just make sure you go glass. giggle.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It'll definitely be glass. I couldn't stand to have a scratched up tank!

-----
Brad

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
All three are really nice but I really like the Finnex the best, I saw one in person for the first time a few weeks ago and really liked it. I almost bought the damn thing but it's a good thing I didn't I have a hard enough time maintaining the three I have now.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode