Hello everyone. I've been reading up on this site for a few weeks. I decided it was time to show my current work in progress. It's fully cycled and has been setup for about 2 months.
Tank: Eclipse 5 gallon Hex
Filter: Built into hood, replaced the cartridge with the ceramics from a AC50
Light: 10 W spiral power compact 10,000K
Heater: cheap 50 Watt
Substrate: Inert gravel
GH and KH: Need to test these
temp: 78 F
Ferts: Seachem Flourish twice weekly
Anubia barteri 'Coffeefolia' (this is what the LFS sold it as, we'll see)
2 unknown varieties of crypts
4 pygmy cories (Aspidoras)
2 Oto Cats
1 Small YoYo Loach
Many unwanted snails that hopefully the loach eats
The tank was setup as a place for some of my smaller plants to grow under higher lights than my current planted tank (it's even more of a work in progress than this one). Eventually, all the fish but the Otos will come out and I will have some Yellow Shrimp in here.
Things I plan to upgrade:
I'm trying to find a 10 or 15 Watt 6700K bulb to fit in this hood.
I've decided this filter sucks and have an AC20 that is being seeded on a bigger tank currently.
The heater will be replaced by a Stealth heater when I get around to ordering one.
I plan switch out for a smaller grained substrate.
I had been turning the lights on when I left for work and off shortly after getting home. I was shooting for about 10 hours a day. I got a timer and they will now get two 4 hour periods with 3 hours in between. This will allow me to see the tank lit up before and after work. The lighting change was brought on by research here and an outbreak of hair algae. I added the Otos yesterday to see if they can help with it.
Also, if anyone can identify these plants I'd appreciate it. I got them from a guy taking his tank down. He said they were crypts. They've definitely rooted into the gravel and have stayed alive pretty well.
Please ignore the glaring rubber band job of attaching the plants. Both my planted tanks are kind of test beds right now until I get the new substrate and things get set more permanently. Right now I'm just trying to get the plants to grow without major algae issues. I'll work on prettying it up later. The rocks are in there because the cories wanted cover from the light. Every time I would turn the light on, they would try and cram themselves under the biggest java fern and stay there all day. Since I added the rocks, they swim freely about the tank with the light on. Crazy little buggers...
More pictures can be found at the link