Fluval Edge lookalike - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Edge lookalike

Hey guys,

This is my first time ever aquascaping and I just bought a fluval edge and planted it and everything. However, I'm coming to the realization I can't do what I want to do with this tank: I can't grow HC or a decent carpet due to the low lighting.

Therefore I'm considering a return for my edge if I can find a suitable replacement tank. I'm looking for a tank that has similar dimensions and characteristics to the fluval edge 6 gallon.

So...

Rimless
~6-10 gallons

Any suggestions to this newbie would be very helpful! Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Look into the fluval flora/ fluval ebi. They come with a single light, decent soil, and a mediocre in-tank filter. Depending on the model you'll also get either shrimp supplies or planting tongs(very nice) and some liquid nutes. The front and sides are a single curved pane of glass. It comes with a glass lid as well. They have a 7.9 gallon capacity. I've enjoyed mine over the years however I've replaced the filter and either upgraded the lights or purchased an additional one of the included one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
The lights are removable and attach firmly to the side. They can be found on amazon for around 90 I believe, that is if you can get it shipped intact. Amazon's customer service is remarkable though so they'll send you new ones until you get an intact one. You might even get some free stuff because they didn't make me send the broken tank/accessories back

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
There is nothing on the market that has similar "characteristics" to the Edge... it's a unique beastie.

There are lots of good all-in-one tanks in the 5-10 gallon size, however, that will allow you to use whatever light you want for adequate lighting.

One the small side, one popular option is the Fluval Spec V, which is 5 gallons. By adding a new light (I think Finnex is a popular choice), many people have created beautiful carpets in them, with co2. The filter is also hidden, sort of like the Edge. (but overflow style in a hidden compartment) Or the Marineland Contour 5 gal is another option worth looking into (plan on replacing the light right away!).

If you want to go bigger there are indeed many options as you approach 10 gallons. I also like the Fluval Ebi mentioned above, although I have mixed feelings about their faux stone backdrop, and their little filter-thingie is only adequate for shrimp tanks, IMO.

Or perhaps a simple rimless cube tank in an appropriate size, and add lighting and filtration as needed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkmonky View Post
Look into the fluval flora/ fluval ebi. They come with a single light, decent soil, and a mediocre in-tank filter. Depending on the model you'll also get either shrimp supplies or planting tongs(very nice) and some liquid nutes. The front and sides are a single curved pane of glass. It comes with a glass lid as well. They have a 7.9 gallon capacity. I've enjoyed mine over the years however I've replaced the filter and either upgraded the lights or purchased an additional one of the included one.

Those are cool tanks but I'm personally looking for something more squatty. Wider than it is tall
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplant View Post
Those are cool tanks but I'm personally looking for something more squatty. Wider than it is tall
Check the Fluval Spec V. Sweet little tank.

Or you do like a 6 gal long. Mr Aqua makes a nice one. Great bookshelf tank.

|
|

|
|
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Check the Fluval Spec V. Sweet little tank.

Or you do like a 6 gal long. Mr Aqua makes a nice one. Great bookshelf tank.
The Mr Aqua one looks pretty sweet. I really want to get a carpet tank, thats the number one priority. So I might end up returning this fluval edge for one that I can get decent lighting with like that Mr Aqua

Edit: How is the filter and stock light with that mr aqua?

Last edited by shadowplant; 01-16-2015 at 09:38 PM. Reason: edit
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
The Mr Aqua one looks pretty sweet. I really want to get a carpet tank, thats the number one priority. So I might end up returning this fluval edge for one that I can get decent lighting with like that Mr Aqua

Edit: How is the filter and stock light with that mr aqua?
Mr Aqua is just a plain tank. You add whatever lights and filtration you want.

|
|

|
|
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Mr Aqua is just a plain tank. You add whatever lights and filtration you want.
Ah, in the picture it has stuff attached. My bad.

Also, do you think modding the 6gal fluval edge with this 42 led

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Edge-Led-Gallon-Lamp/dp/B00A38WR8C/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421448281&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=fluval+edge+light+mod
will give carpet grass enough light to grow? or is that still not enough
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

if you want high tech then you need to spend the money. trying to cheap out will not work.

Get a tank, buy a filter and light and co2. all in ones are not what you want. You can achieve high light with a cheap cfl bulb on a small tank.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Ah, in the picture it has stuff attached. My bad.

Also, do you think modding the 6gal fluval edge with this 42 led

Amazon.com : Fluval Edge 42 Led 46l (12 Gallon) Lamp : Led Household Light Bulbs : Pet Supplies

will give carpet grass enough light to grow? or is that still not enough
The problem isn't (just) the light, it's the lack of spread. All the light is concentrated straight down by the hood. That light MIGHT be enough to get a carpet, but there is no PAR data available, so hard to be sure, and the carpet would only be right under it since light still doesn't get to the corners.

The other issue is co2. Most plants that produce good carpets really need co2, and that's a real struggle to effectively implement in an Edge due to the small size and (more importantly) closed top.

|
|

|
|
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
The problem isn't (just) the light, it's the lack of spread. All the light is concentrated straight down by the hood. That light MIGHT be enough to get a carpet, but there is no PAR data available, so hard to be sure, and the carpet would only be right under it since light still doesn't get to the corners.

The other issue is co2. Most plants that produce good carpets really need co2, and that's a real struggle to effectively implement in an Edge due to the small size and (more importantly) closed top.
That makes sense. Thanks for the info, its cleared up a lot of things. Might be time for a Mr Aqua
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:

Actually the hood doesn't have any effect on the light spread. The lights are physically below the edges of the hood. They are just too concentrated to have effective spread. I did that lightbar upgrade on mine. Not worth it in my opinion. It just made the light directly underneath it twice as bright and didn't add any extra coverage over the stock one.

Don't get me wrong it's a cool little tank, but if you want high light carpet plants get something else. Work with what it is and you'll be happier in the long run IMO. I mean if they were dirt cheap then sure, mod away but it's a pricey thing to buy just to have to tear it apart to improve it to do something it wasn't made for.

Just my 2 cents

"Not my circus, not my monkeys"
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedhiker View Post
Actually the hood doesn't have any effect on the light spread. The lights are physically below the edges of the hood. They are just too concentrated to have effective spread. I did that lightbar upgrade on mine. Not worth it in my opinion. It just made the light directly underneath it twice as bright and didn't add any extra coverage over the stock one.

Don't get me wrong it's a cool little tank, but if you want high light carpet plants get something else. Work with what it is and you'll be happier in the long run IMO. I mean if they were dirt cheap then sure, mod away but it's a pricey thing to buy just to have to tear it apart to improve it to do something it wasn't made for.

Just my 2 cents
I agree with you, except about the hood part. The hood rests on the glass. Unless your lights are underwater, the lights are NOT below the hood.

With my Edge, with upgraded lights (all contained in the area under the hood, same height as the stock lights), there was a dramatic difference in light spread depending on whether the hood was on or off.

|
|

|
|
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
OK I'll give you that one, it's isn't literally below them(but almost) but really the hood doesn't make any useful difference on/off. I can maybe see 1/2" more spread of indirect light on taller leaves, but nothing at the substrate.

"Not my circus, not my monkeys"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode