Amature Hour Custom LED - JBJ 12g nano cube - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Dr.

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amature Hour Custom LED - JBJ 12g nano cube

So Ive ran into a problem trying to customize a LED lighting system for my JBJ 12g nano cube. My issues start with the fact the nano cube is self contained so I am limited in space. If I were to do it over again, I would steer away from the completely contained system for several reasons with the lighting being only one. I already have a super healthy 55 gal. heavily planted tank so I am/was looking forward to setting up another, smaller, planted tank for shrimp. Want a thick foreground of HC so looking for optimal lighting and good PAR.

I am restricted in the space that is available under the hood, to ruffly a W5"xL13"xD1.5" area that housed 2, 12"T5 bulbs.

I started with 2 TrueLumen LED Strips.
12,000k White
1, TrueLumen LED Lunar Light 3 x 453nm Blue Actinic LEDs for a little night light.
Along with a 3 way spliter and a 12v power cord sold.

This was in no way bright enough. No only was there not enough light, all it did was polish the water at best.

So I went back and tried to find the 8,000K Sun White Pro Series LED. It seems that they have discontinued this model so I bought the 12" 12,000K Diamond White. This is 12V so I had to buy a separate power cord for it as well.

This fixture is better. I wish I would of started with 1 of these pro series instead of 2 of the light strips. But it is still just a brightly, well polished light, if that makes sense. I wouldn't of started down the TrueLumen product line if I would of know they were going to discontinue the 8,000K sun white Pro Series.
Now, I'm just over $100 into this re-Build and dont want to make anymore missteps. Here are the options that I've seen, that would work for my setup:

- Buy a TrueLumen Marine Fusion ProSeries LED - "a slick combination of 12K white & 453nm blue." BUT I want to grow HC and other high light, foreground plants. This spectrum is made for a saltwater tank right?

- Buy a 12.5" 6 watt Stunner LED 8000K White. This will probably be compatible with the 12V converter I got for the other light. This would also be the cheapest/easiest "fix" if you think it will grow plants. Is this a good lighting spectrum for a planted tank?

- Buy a buildmyled.com set up like this. . I cant find dimensions on this and it looks like a LED strip in an alumium casing that I fear would not fit in my self contained bio cube lid.

I like this option the best so please let me know if you know anything about it! Current-usa Satellite+ flexible LED with RGB. I have a Satellite+ that sits on my 55gal and i love the color options. But does anyone know if I buy this product, am I able to take the 44" LED roll and cut it down into 4-5, 10" strips and connect them together? this would give me 4 strips that function as one light.
-there is also this cheepy led supplier that sells waterproof leds. Would I be able to grow a hightech tanks using something like this?

-What about a do-it-yourself option like this?. It starts getting expensive.

I'd like a simple solution from you all if possible. I've tried reading in-depth articles on this issue and they loose me.

Bottom Line: Have zero knowledge in Lighting. Ive done a ton of research which has not helped me more than a better understanding that there are a ton of options out there. I probably sholdnt of gone cheep but I did so now I would like to know if there are any cheep fixes for me or do I need to scrap it all and go big/go pro?

Tags
diy, jbj, led, nano, planted tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode