Planted betta bowl-KH/PH question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Planted betta bowl-KH/PH question

I started several planted betta bowls about a month ago. I don't add any CO2 (although I've started using tiny amounts of Flourish Excel). With the CO2 locked at 2-3 ppm, I have to decide between a higher PH (7.6+) & adequate KH (50 ppm+) or lower PH( 7.0-7.4) & lower KH (20-40 ppm).

What's more important, a PH closer to 7.0 (too high = bad for plants) or KH over 50 ppm (too low=inadequate buffering=ph swings=bad for fish)?

Or...does this not even matter if I'm not injecting CO2??

1.25 gal bowls
Flourite/gravel substrate
No filtration
10W Marineland heaters
13W 5500K compact flourescent (for 2 bowls)
Wisteria, broadleaf hygro, unknown aponogetons, micro sword
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Welcome to TPT.

The most important thing is stability, so don't fiddle with the water parameters with the intent of reaching some arbitrary ideal.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Bowls aren't the best place to keep Bettas....

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
Bowls aren't the best place to keep Bettas....
Properly maintained and balanced bowls most simulate the Betta's natural enviroment. I have kept them for over 30 years and the longest lived and healthiest are in 1-2 gallone Bowls/Vases with plants and a couple snails. I really hope this forum does not develop into a Betta Mommy gotta have 75Gal tanks per fish type place.

As to the OP. I have never bothered with KH in Betta Bowls, I also agree with stability being the most important. Many of the plants I use to rescape larger tanks come from thinning out the plants in my Vases and Bowls.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Stability, obviously, is what I'm after. I'd like a KH of 50ppm+ (to keep the pH STABLE), but that means my pH is 7.6+.

Will plants be ok in ph levels that high?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 03:31 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomKayos View Post
...with plants and a couple snails...
What kind of plants and snails? IME, it is easy to accidently put in a snail prone to multiplying out of control and if that happens, you could end up with serious bioload and water quality issues. I imagine you are talking about a snail that does not reproduce asexually. With plants, if the plants start out poorly on a small scale that can cause more problems than not having plants at all, so I imagine you are talking about plants such as duckweed, java moss, java ferns, etc., that are not as nit picky about water conditions and light.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason K View Post
Will plants be ok in ph levels that high?
Yes, that's fine.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 03:10 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
What kind of plants and snails? IME, it is easy to accidently put in a snail prone to multiplying out of control and if that happens, you could end up with serious bioload and water quality issues. I imagine you are talking about a snail that does not reproduce asexually. With plants, if the plants start out poorly on a small scale that can cause more problems than not having plants at all, so I imagine you are talking about plants such as duckweed, java moss, java ferns, etc., that are not as nit picky about water conditions and light.
I'm talking about plants in general, Swords, HC, HM, Java Fern, Occasionally mosses, an assortment of stems and so on. You know the kind of plants that go into Aquariums? And snails, Pond, Ram, MTS. Again the types usually found in aquariums.

As for light and water conditions, these vases are not kept in a dark closet on a back shelf. They are kept right out where my other aquariums are kept. They get light from various sources and I change water when needed, feed them and watch to see what is working and what is not and try to determine what I've done right and what wrong so this info can be applied to other tanks and situations. I watch bioloads and if there are to many snails in a Vase/Bowl I remove some, If something should die I remove it promptly. You know, Kind of like taking care of a squareish type tank.

I would now like to apologize to Jason for side tracking this thread and suggest any further communications be started in a new thread or PM me. Thanks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomKayos View Post
I would now like to apologize to Jason for side tracking this thread and suggest any further communications be started in a new thread or PM me. Thanks
No worries...not a lot of 'value-added' in these responses, but you get what you pay for, I guess.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode