Looking for Picotope substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking for Picotope substrate

I just picked up a JBJ picotope 3g and am currently looking for substrate. I don't want to spend $25 on a bunch of substrate when I only need a small amount. Does anyone have any extra they can send me? or point me in a direction to buy a little? What type should I get? Thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I know...pain in the butt isn't it? I ended up setting up a ten gallon I had so much extra substrate. Sigh. As for sending extra, you might as well buy it yourself cause the shipping on such a heavy amount would be a lot. I used far more of the 20 pound bag than I thought I would cause the picotope has so much surface area.

Now I actually need like five more pounds for my ten!!

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ten gal planted:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Ok I need something like aquasoil. I'm confused though. I'm new to this, but is aqua soil a first layer..and then covered? I want to plant my new aquarium. ok nvm What is aquasoil and how is it used? someone explain that to me haha.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:51 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I like SMS charcoal. I switched from ADA to SMS months ago and havent looked back. Best of all it is cheap.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:53 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicBMC View Post
Ok I need something like aquasoil. I'm confused though. I'm new to this, but is aqua soil a first layer..and then covered? I want to plant my new aquarium. ok nvm What is aquasoil and how is it used? someone explain that to me haha.
use aquasoil as your main substrate. add nothing else but aquasoil. you would only need a 3 liter bag, and i would go with the powder
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Someone can correct me on this, but I believe that ADA aquasoil can be used on its own, or if you want to you can put a layer ontop of sand to hide it.

I used Plant Gold and that is like a powder, you put down sand, Gold, and more sand.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

awesome thanks for the advice. Is there anything else I should be using I want to plant some Dwarf Hairgrass and HC? I want to keep it kinda simple.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm not a plant expert yet, but some liquid fert and some light should do the trick. Oh and some CO2 if you really want it happy.

What are you going to put in there?

I'm looking to steal ideas, I'm not sure what other than plants I want in mine.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

UM well some dwarf hairgrass and HC (dwarf baby tears) for ground cover...and something tall for the rear. I want to put some cardinal tetras and some shrimp if possible.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:29 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
co2 is necessary for a nice thick carpet, but ive heard of people keeping HC alive with flourish excel
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

I plan on using co2 tabs, but have never used them? Are those sufficient or are they completely useless?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to sadistic-otaku
I've never used tabs before, but just make sure the bubbles that come from it are consistent. If it's not, then you're going to see a bunch of algae :/

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode