another Nano build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
another Nano build

Well I had some spare stuff laying around that my buddy gave me.. I was at Walmart today and found a round vase.. estimated.. around .5g (half gallon).

total price of tank+bulb= 14 bucks.

I'm going to be using a Philips 15w spiral bulb with a plant growing light (huge reflector with socket)... I have a whisper air powered filter from a 2g.. It kind of fits (a little too tall) but I can cut it up and get it to fit.. should I do this? Or should I just use the air pump to power some kind of air stone or something?

This is mainly for fry.. possibly 1 or 2 amano's I have laying around and a large amount of floating moss (storage and growth).

Anything else I'm missing?
I figured i might not need substrate since I don't plan on planting.. but i have half bag of eco complete left over that I can throw a layer in..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 05:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I say, make a moss based iwagumi, and i'm sorta opposed to the filter idea, as it is too large, and me, i just have a dislike of butchering stuff xD .

But if it's for fry, go for it .!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 12:38 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
... estimated.. around .5g (half gallon)...
Unless this is a typo, that is pretty small and will pose some challenges not to mention risks in maintaining stable long term water parameters even with aeration and filtration.

I am not saying it cannot be done. I kept a peppered cory cat fish and dwarf frog in an unplanted 1 gallon at my workplace for 7 years. I had to use dual filtration, feed minimally, and keep on top of weekly water changes. IME, larger bowls and tanks are just more forgiving when S*it happens and you get major instability. Personally I would not set up a nano with anything less than a 2.5 gallon filtered tank, preferably 3-5 gallons.

You might find these articles interesting. Like I said it is possible. In most cases though, I don't believe anything less than 1 gallon was used and the fish were super hardy to begin with and more tolerant of abuse than most fish.
http://www.angelfire.com/home/fishbowl/fish.html
http://chetday.com/bowlfish.htm
http://www.petfish.net/articles/Aqua...nano_plant.php

Good luck.

Last edited by Homer_Simpson; 01-02-2009 at 05:07 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
That is not a typo =)

I don't plan on keeping any full size fish in the tank.. just to keep fry from getting eaten. I have seen fry being kept in those hang over QT/breeding containers so I assume they will do fine in a .5g

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode