Nano advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Nano advice

I'm wanting to setup a 10 and two 5 gallons. I'm having a hard time determining lighting for both. I want low to med.... I don't want to mess with co2 at all, not even excel.

Also, instead of the 5 gallons, I could possible go with something else. Like a cube or a pico or something... I'm just having trouble locating the stuff online to look at for ideas.

-----
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm all about the Picotope, check out my sig for a link. It comes with a light that is good enough (barely) for low light plants. Get something very hardy, but you're gonna have to have some sort of fertilizer.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I saw the picotopes at the LFS for like $41.00 the other day. I like them, but I was leaning more towards a 5 gallon, so I could put the glass top on it, without having to get one made for a pico. I really don't like the size of the 5 though. I would rather have a cube, but I can't find them locally, at least no where that I have checked.

-----
Brad

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 07:33 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
High light can be a major catlyst for algae as many newbies have found out the hard way, unless you match that with a good fert program like Estimative Index, good substrate(ADA Aquasoil) and consistent c02 levels, preferably through pressurized c02. This also applies to 5 gallons(been there done that).

FWIW, through experimentation I found that I obtained best results on my 5 gallons with 14 watt 6400-6500 K compact fluorescent bulbs, any higher than that even with a 8 hour photoperiod resulted in a number of green spot algae patches on the tank walls. This was for a low tech Tom Barr type setup, no c02 injection, but regular/daily dosing of Seachem Excel.

If you really want to monkey around with light and want to avoid potential algae issues, you can start with high intensity and keep the photoperiod really low, increasing it by say 30 minutes a week to see where it takes you.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I use Tom's non co2, low light method now on my 29 and it's great. I want to achieve that on my smaller tanks, that I'm going to buy. I know the lighting is different on smaller tanks though, that's why I'm having trouble coming up with the right idea.

-----
Brad

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
Yeah, I use Tom's non co2, low light method now on my 29 and it's great. I want to achieve that on my smaller tanks, that I'm going to buy. I know the lighting is different on smaller tanks though, that's why I'm having trouble coming up with the right idea.
I hear you, they say that the watts per gallon rules break down for smaller tanks. I have read people having as much as 20 watts with fixuture positioned 2.5 inches over the top of 3 gallons without any problems.

It may just be a matter of trial and error on your part and proceeding with the utmost caution to see what happens. I would suggest Tom Barr's Dry Emersed Method to jump start plant growth, that way if you err on having too much light you may have some level of protection against algae from the high plant density and firmly established plant growth.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
I would suggest Tom Barr's Dry Emersed Method to jump start plant growth, that way if you err on having too much light you may have some level of protection against algae from the high plant density and firmly established plant growth.
Good idea. Didn't even think about that.

-----
Brad

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You know, in all honesty. If I trusted that I could do it, here is what I would do. I would go by a 15 or 20 long. Get some glass cut and divide the tank into separate aquariums that way, but I don't trust myself trying to silicon everything right. lol I'm not much of a handyman.

-----
Brad

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just thought about something. I guess I can't do it that way because of different temps, needed for different tanks.

-----
Brad

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Algae Grower

Brad,
I have had a great experience with the CoraLife Mini AquaLight, which runs two 9w 6700k bulbs, and can be had from Big Al's for $25.

I run one over my 5.5g RCS colony, which is modestly planted with Java moss and hairgrass.

Seven-hour photoperiod + Flourite + no regular ferts = slow growth + a little dust algae.

The fixture's only shortcoming is that CoraLife doesn't make legs for it, but you can search around these forums and find DIY solutions.

Good luck,
Matt

vegasMatt now lives in sanDiego. In retrospect, it was not a good username.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Matt.

-----
Brad

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode