Fluval Mini Pressurized CO2 Kit in a Spec iii - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Mini Pressurized CO2 Kit in a Spec iii

I am setting up a Spec III that will eventually make it's way to my office cube. For those people that own the Fluval Mini Pressurized CO2 Kit, how big is the diffuser? will it "hide" in the powerhead/pump section in back of the tank?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 10:52 PM
Algae Grower

I have both the 88g Fluval kit and 20g Fluval kit.
The diffuser from 20g kit is huge. It went straight to trash and I am using UpAqua diffuser with both kits http://www.up-aqua.com/00-dm-page/00up_new-diffuser.jpg
88g comes with separate bubble counter and small ceramic diffuser which is more seemly.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 12:16 AM
Planted Member

I will know in a few days because I ordered the 20g.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I know it is ugly, but will it fit? I figured the pump whole would hide it nicely.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 02:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
It's the size of a coke can. Massive...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay, that is sounding too big, but I do have a glass diffuser I could use instead if the stock diffuser does not work. On the lower settings (since there is only a little over 2 gallons in the tank), how long will the small cartridges last?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 02:44 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFish View Post
Okay, that is sounding too big, but I do have a glass diffuser I could use instead if the stock diffuser does not work. On the lower settings (since there is only a little over 2 gallons in the tank), how long will the small cartridges last?
I have been looking for CO2 solutions for my Spec so I will tell you what I think.

The 20g comes with a bell diffuser that you manually fill each day then it slowly escapes. That is why it is so big. The 88g comes with a standard diffuser than runs all day. The problem is the small regulators are hard to adjust to have a low flow rate.

I have a 20lb CO2 tank and almost bought an aquarium regulator and used that but am trying this first. Without a needle valve I think it would be too much of a pain for me. The bell diffuser will be OK because you don't need to adjust, just crack it open to fill the bell then shut it off.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 03:22 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I don't know how long it will last because I have it only 3 days, but I only dose it a little bit in the morning every day and I don't think the valve allows for any fine adjustment.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 05:34 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xDEADBEEF View Post
I don't know how long it will last because I have it only 3 days, but I only dose it a little bit in the morning every day and I don't think the valve allows for any fine adjustment.
You are using both kits on two different tanks. I can't believe you trashed that diffuser. If it works I plan to use it with my 20lb bottle to prevent gassing my shrimp. I am thinking it is very inefficient.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 08:19 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreyFan View Post
You are using both kits on two different tanks. I can't believe you trashed that diffuser. If it works I plan to use it with my 20lb bottle to prevent gassing my shrimp. I am thinking it is very inefficient.
No point in keeping it. I find it ugly and it was way to big for either my Fluval Edge 6G or my Mr Aqua Joy 3G. I have too much crap in my garage to keep things I will never use around.

I am still working out my use of CO2. I have just too little experience. It seems that my diffuser in Edge 6G got clogged or something yesterday.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Aquatek Mini reg on a paintball bottle, with a cheap glass nano diffuser. Done. Cheaper than the disposable tanks in short order, since a $4 paintball fill will last a year at these low levels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 05:00 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xDEADBEEF View Post
No point in keeping it. I find it ugly and it was way to big for either my Fluval Edge 6G or my Mr Aqua Joy 3G. I have too much crap in my garage to keep things I will never use around.

I am still working out my use of CO2. I have just too little experience. It seems that my diffuser in Edge 6G got clogged or something yesterday.
It fits in the pump/filter section of the Spec III which is all I care about.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreyFan View Post
It fits in the pump/filter section of the Spec III which is all I care about.
Are you saying that the diffuser from the 20 g kit does fit in the pump section with the filter? If so that is awesome news.
I should have given more background on my application. With my job there aren't a lot of people with aquariums in their cubes. I have seen them, but I can't even find info on if it is permitted and if so what size and other restrictions there might be. For that reason I went with the spec 3 because it is compact and pretty close to an all in one unit. I know the plants will do better with some co2, but a paintball setup is too bulky. I want it all to be discrete. It may not be the most cost effective route, but the mini co2 cartridge system will be better than a yeast reactor or not using any co2 at all. Thanks for your feedback. I will post more info and pics soon.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 07:47 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Are you saying that the diffuser from the 20 g kit does fit in the pump section with the filter?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Are you saying that the diffuser from the 20 g kit does fit in the pump section with the filter? If so that is awesome news.
I should have given more background on my application. With my job there aren't a lot of people with aquariums in their cubes. I have seen them, but I can't even find info on if it is permitted and if so what size and other restrictions there might be. For that reason I went with the spec 3 because it is compact and pretty close to an all in one unit. I know the plants will do better with some co2, but a paintball setup is too bulky. I want it all to be discrete. It may not be the most cost effective route, but the mini co2 cartridge system will be better than a yeast reactor or not using any co2 at all. Thanks for your feedback. I will post more info and pics soon.
The Specs make great office tanks. A paintball setup could easily be discretely tucked up under the desk, with the diffuser in the tank and just a co2 hose running up from under, along with the power cords.

Here's my Spec 2:

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode