I have a 2.5 gallon tank. What fish am I able to add? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a 2.5 gallon tank. What fish am I able to add?

So far I have plants, (Java fern and dwarf hair grass) a beta and two Cory cats and an ottocinclus. Can I add just three tiny schooling fish like leopard zebra danios?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 06:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

No. Zebra danios need a LOT more space than that. They can't be kept in a tank that's smaller than a 20g.
Your tank is overstocked. Cories need more space, and so do otos. They're unhappy with that little space. Also, both cories and otos need groups, but you have no space. They need to be rehomed. Just keep the betta.
A 2.5g is a very small tank. I'd suggest an upgrade if you want more fish. A 10g or so would be large enough for a few cories, a few otos, and the betta, assuming it's a smaller variety of cory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

1 betta. maybe 1 hara jerdoni or 1-2 endler/least killifish, also shrimps, adf and snails. also 1 pea puffer

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Algae Grower

None...a tank that size is suitable only for a betta OR a few shrimp. You are already way overstocked.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I agree with the above posters. You can either go some shrimp or betta.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't even think a betta should really be kept in a 2.5 my opinion is they need a 5. I say shrimps only.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Algae Grower

I have similar sized tank at work and keep several male Endlers - they are smaller than females so have less biomass and are much more colorful and will not breed. They seem happy. I have a fairly strong filter (Aqueon QuietFlow 10). No matter what you do, you will probably overstock such little tank so try to pick smallest species from the nano fish list here, make sure you have a lot of filtration and do partial water changes often and watch water parameters. Lots of people are going to argue that one should not keep fish in such small tanks only shrimp or maybe betta. But this is nano subforum and we know better ;-)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xDEADBEEF View Post
I have similar sized tank at work and keep several male Endlers - they are smaller than females so have less biomass and are much more colorful and will not breed. They seem happy. I have a fairly strong filter (Aqueon QuietFlow 10). No matter what you do, you will probably overstock such little tank so try to pick smallest species from the nano fish list here, make sure you have a lot of filtration and do partial water changes often and watch water parameters. Lots of people are going to argue that one should not keep fish in such small tanks only shrimp or maybe betta. But this is nano subforum and we know better ;-)
Thanks!! I think I will stick with my 2 corys, otto, and betta. I have amazing filtration with carbon, Seachem Purigan, and tons of live plants to provide endless fascination for my fish. I can tell they're happy so Ill stick with what I have. I don't think anything needs to be rehomed just yet.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
What type of Cory are you keeping? If you have hasbrosus or pygmaeus, they should be fine. I wouldn't keep the larger species in there, not because they won't survive, but because they need room to do their natural foraging in the substrate. Think of it this way, if you're 7' tall you can survive in a house with 8' ceilings, but wouldn't you be more comfortable and happy with 9-10' ceilings?

|
| Mr Aqua 7.5 Cube Paludarium | Zoo Med Nano Tall & Small Tall Vivariums
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 12:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Please post a picture. Kind of curious to know what filter you are using. Your tank is way overstocked. Regardless of what anyone says, or what you observe, your fish are NOT happy. They are probably surviving depending on if you are doing very frequent water changes. Cories need groups, not 1, not 2, or even three in my opinion. They need at least 5. Ottos usually prefer to have a small group of themselves too, and if you do have more they will be a bit more outgoing and not so skittish. Think of the dimensions of your tank...12″ x 6″ x 8″it is the size of a ruler, man. Bettas are also quite aggressive. Many people keep them in community tanks, including myself at times...BUT you need to make sure there is room for the other fish to hide or room for the Betta to get some alone time. What kind of plants do you have? Some plants can really help your nitrate levels, but if you get an ammonia build up it will kill everything in there.

That being said, this is not meant to be a mean or rude post. This is meant to be helpful to you. You'll find that the people on this forum care about their fish. They also want to help fellow hobbyist. It is exciting to have a lot of fish. Different types that do different things, colors, sizes and shapes. But at the end of the day you need to consider that what you have is a living creature. It can be a fun hobby, and very rewarding too, but please consider your pets. If you don't care about them that might be an indicator that this is not the hobby for you. I know that overstocking small tanks is inevitable...but this is just too too too much. Honestly just keep the Betta and get a snail OR some ghost shrimp OR buy a new tank. Rehome everyone else. Every petstore I have been to in my area is having $1 per gallon. A ten gallon tank is only $10, better yet a 20g long is great for planting. Only $20. If you have a decent filter there you go.

We are trying to help you here. No one on this site will encourage something that would harm the animals or plants we love.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode