New to planted help me!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to planted help me!!

Hello im new to planted tanks i have a 3gal eclipse about to mod with a 13watt light also 20 cherry shrimp. I was wondering how much i should dose flourish and how often. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by bagz_of_fish; 12-27-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Planted Member

What plants do you plan to put in it? I don't want to sound rude but alot of the threads on here are good to read through for your information that you seek.

I made a mistake with my first planted and fert'd my tank as soon as I dropped the plants in, pay attention to your plants, they will tell you what they need and when they need it, all you have to do is pay attention to how much.

I haven't dealt with shrimp so I can't really tell you anything about how they interact with ferts of certain amounts.

Look around and I promise you will find someone has answered all the questions you have

Eheim Pimp #347
aka
The 347 Pimp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Here's Seachem's dosing chart: http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf

And by the looks of it, you'd need microscopic amounts to dose 3 gallons (1/20 of a cap, if my calculations are correct).

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 12:48 AM

Arrow

There is a chart floating around, I believe that Jimbo initially posted it at Aquaticplantcentral.com that coverts the Seachem dosing schedule to a 2 or 2.5 gallon tank. LeftC may also be able to provide a good conversion chart.

Personally, I found that when I tried the Seachem dosing on a 2.5 gallon hex tank, the results were not as good as just dosing a pinch of nitrates, phosphates, potassium, calcium and epsom salts weekly along with a about 1 ml of trace element mix. It was less of a hassle, cheaper and the plants seem to do better. The weekly dosing with dry ferts goes hand in hand with Tom Barr's low tech approach of setting up a tank and in my experience works just as well when tapered down to 3 gallons.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for all the info everyone i has helped guess i should have looked around. There is one thing i cant find info on and thats do u need a filter or can u do water changes twice a week? The filter in the eclipes covers the whole back of the tank so there is no light back there. I whould like to add another light in its place.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagz_of_fish View Post
Thank you for all the info everyone i has helped guess i should have looked around. There is one thing i cant find info on and thats do u need a filter or can u do water changes twice a week? The filter in the eclipes covers the whole back of the tank so there is no light back there. I whould like to add another light in its place.
There is a lot of additional mulm and debris produced due to natural plant die off and fish waste(depending on how much fish you stock) that must be filtered efficiently out of the tank to prevent issues. I don't believe that you can get to all this debris and mulm by changing the water twice a week, especially if you heavily plant the tank from the start to prevent algae and water quality issues. The filter also helps maintain some biological filtration which may prove necessary when a fish dies and you don't notice and the ammonia spikes. You could probably get away with water changes twice a week if you had few plants and one fish in the tank but I would not recommend it. Most people get around having to use a filter that takes up space by using a cannister filter like Eheim 2232, Zoomed 501, or Tom Rapid Mini. Adapting to fit your tank with the canopy may pose a challenge, You may have to go coverless with a lamp above or use a glass cover with a lamp above. Another option is an internal submersible filter, but that may look out of place and difficult to hide in the tank if looks are important to you. I believe the member known as Church is familiar with Eclipse tanks and modifying their light fixtures. Hopefully, he will chime in.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good call homer just a shot in the dark lol. Um do you have any link for those cans cause i cant get them around here. Cant even get good lights around here.
RedDeer, Alberta P.S. or any good plants have to go to calgary.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagz_of_fish View Post
Good call homer just a shot in the dark lol. Um do you have any link for those cans cause i cant get them around here. Cant even get good lights around here.
RedDeer, Alberta P.S. or any good plants have to go to calgary.
Eheim 2232 on sale at Big Als Canada. If you can afford it, this is the best of the bunch as I believe it lets you control the flow and is of higher quality in general.
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/...sterfilter2232

Tom Rapids Mini on sale at Big Als Canada
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/...isterfilterc80

Zoomed 501 also on sale at Big Als Canda
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/...canisterfilter

If you want to go submersible. This Hagen Elite Mini submersible works well. I have used it successfully in 3 gallon planted tanks that I set up.
It looks like the one pictured here, I don't know of an online Canadian supplier I bought it locally from my LFS.
http://www.smarter.com/aquarium-filt...pi-184008.html
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Red Deer Alberta, eh ? I know a few planted people there ...
Try www.albertaaquatica.com to get local stuff, and people there are quite knowlegable as well.
Also if you want to order stuff, i find that
http://www.petsandponds.com/en/aquar...ies/index.html
also have good prices and have large variety of goods.

Also with the eclipes 3g, probably a nano canister + CFL lighting would do the job quite nicely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got this at walmart for 25.00 it has 13watts full spectrum and i have the 6w T5 that came with it. thank you for the links homer it was a big help . Thank you for the links also Viettxboii i hope i find some hc in town.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

HC eh?. Anyways that OTT light provides alot of intensity especially up close i think it should give you quite a punch in terms of lighting + the 6w T5 should be great for a tank like that. So 19 watts total, and then gut your hood and leave the front portion for the T5.
Another option is get another one of what you're using right now, however that's bordering on high tech.
Also HC, i believe a few members have a few, i have some myself but really it's a miniscule amount.

||
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well im for sure goin to take out the crappy filter and get a can and do the lights in that order. All i want is a nice carpet any thing that whould give that effect whould be great any ideas?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 06:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You could try Riccia, glosso , hairgrass, e tenellus if you can't find HC. Those are probably easiest to get.
Also if you're outing the crap filter, what are you planning to replace with.
Also if you're adding another light, then CO2 will be required. On a tank that small i would reccomend Flourish Excel, for ease.

||
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i might just try a diy canister filter for the fun of it. That way i can put my heater it the filter as well and give more room in the tank. I have a flourish product does not say excel on it. Its all they had at pet smart i wish they had more.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 06:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Get both. Seachem Flourish Excel is a carbon supplement. Your Seachem flourish is a general macro fertilizer, so you use both. Excel is reccomended to be used daily.

Also try some stores in Edmonton or Calgary, for the excel.

DIY Canister eh? i wanted to make one but got lazy, have fun making one !

||

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode