What fishes to add? - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Shrimpo_Brian's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 578
What fishes to add?

Wow it's been a long while since I've posted on here. I've been really stressed out because of the transition to high school and now I think I've got it on Nader control.

I just have a few questions to ask as to what fishes to add. I have an Eheim aquastyle 4-gallon, so keep that in mind. I recently rescaled and redid everything, and I used what I could salvage from that jungle of a tank. Turns out, I didn't get much, but it's a start. Right now, everything is still growing in. i have about 15-20 rcs in there and one Amano shrimp I bought yesterday (the amano is pretty interesting and HUGE!). I'm thinking of adding fish to the aquarium once things start taking off, but I'm pretty conflicted between neon tetras or Galaxy rasboras (CPD's's).

I don't know what fish to add, but it all comes down to these two questions:
1. Which fish are more suitable to a tall rather than long tank?
2. Which fish are less likely to breed?

My tank, lengthwise is pretty small, so I'm looking for fish that aren't speed racers. I'm looking for more inactive and stay-in-one-place fish. As for breeding, I plan on getting 3-4 fishes and plan on keeping it 3-4. I can't assure that petco knows how to distinguish sexes as professionally as breeders, so that's that. I'm looking for fishes that are difficult to breed or breed in non-freshwater.

If for some reason CPD's and neon tetras don't accomdate my criteria, please use this criteria to suggest fishes:
-it is small
-it is safe (for the most part) to put with rcs
-it is low maintenance and not needy
-it is suitable for a small tank
-not very mobile and active
-doesn't breed like rabbits
-doesn't breed at all in freshwater

Thank you guys so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	412066  

Shrimpo_Brian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Neatfish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 2,025
A betta and some red cherry shrimp.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Neatfish is offline  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Shrimpo_Brian's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatfish View Post
A betta and some red cherry shrimp.
I've looked into bettas and I don't think that's a good idea as most occurances end up in the cherry shrimp being a meal

Last edited by Shrimpo_Brian; 01-06-2015 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Grammar
Shrimpo_Brian is offline  
 
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: California for school, Arkansas for home
Posts: 767
Neon tetra: likes cooler water (between 70 and 75 F, none of that 80 F stuff). It's a proven cherry shrimp predator. Breeding them is kinda hard, as the eggs require no light, small food, etc. Usually recommended for a bigger tank than 10 gallons.

CPD's: bit more expensive than neons. Proven shrimplet predator, and might eat adults as well. Breeding is easier, fry pop up every once in a while in densely planted tanks.

I vote for the CPD's. You could probably bump the number up to 5 or 6 CPD's to make them get along a bit better.

Other options: Boraras briggitae, Microdevario kubotai, and Brevibora dorsiocellata. They all fit criteria, and are at the same size, if not smaller, than a CPD.
ichthyogeek is offline  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Shrimpo_Brian's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyogeek View Post
Neon tetra: likes cooler water (between 70 and 75 F, none of that 80 F stuff). It's a proven cherry shrimp predator. Breeding them is kinda hard, as the eggs require no light, small food, etc. Usually recommended for a bigger tank than 10 gallons.

CPD's: bit more expensive than neons. Proven shrimplet predator, and might eat adults as well. Breeding is easier, fry pop up every once in a while in densely planted tanks.

I vote for the CPD's. You could probably bump the number up to 5 or 6 CPD's to make them get along a bit better.

Other options: Boraras briggitae, Microdevario kubotai, and Brevibora dorsiocellata. They all fit criteria, and are at the same size, if not smaller, than a CPD.
Okay I have my eyes on the borasras brigittae now. They're a bit smaller than the cpd right? I'm a bit wary on getting a few more than 3 because I'm worried the bio load on a 4 gallon nano would drive the parameters crazy on a two week 30% water change. I'm going to petco soon and I'm wondering, can I buy them right now? I know the tank is not planted much, but when I'm there I plan on buying a driftwood or rock to be a hiding piece for the shrimp and fishes and cover it with Java moss. I'm just worried they'll run out of stock because I've never seen them sell these fishes before. Would their mouths be large enough to eat shrimplets?

As for the CPD's, are they capable of mauling and committing genocide on the shrimplets? My new conflict is between the chili/mosquito rasbora or the cpd. Which one has a lesser chance at bothering the shrimp/shrimplets?
Shrimpo_Brian is offline  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 07:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: somewhere on earth
Posts: 401
maybe hara jerdoni? they usually only feed on live food though
newbieshrimpkeeper is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
roadmaster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Missouri united states
Posts: 5,576
Larger tank .
Four gallons is a bit small for even a single Betta.
Would be bout right for shrimp tank but even then,,the smaller volume of water is more readily influenced by temp changes,water chemistry changes ,waste from fishes and foods than larger volume of water.
Is why experienced hobbyist's will tell you that larger tanks are easier to maintain stable condition's.
Aren't many if any fishes that swim that will pass up tiny shrimplet's no more than most folks can pass up a buffet.
roadmaster is offline  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Algae Grower
 
Brenagwynn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 34
I have 4 Gold White Clouds in a 5 gal tank, will add a fifth one. They are beautiful, peaceful and sturdy little beasts. Just make sure you feed them with something really small, as they have tiny mouths (like hikari micropellets or flakes crumbled between your fingers). Theoretically they prefer colder water, but mine are doing fine in ~75 F

You just keep on trying till you run out of cake
Brenagwynn is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Shrimpo_Brian's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Larger tank .
Four gallons is a bit small for even a single Betta.
Would be bout right for shrimp tank but even then,,the smaller volume of water is more readily influenced by temp changes,water chemistry changes ,waste from fishes and foods than larger volume of water.
Is why experienced hobbyist's will tell you that larger tanks are easier to maintain stable condition's.
Aren't many if any fishes that swim that will pass up tiny shrimplet's no more than most folks can pass up a buffet.
So you recommend I not get any fish at all? I don't know, I feel like my tank needs something more...attractive because the shrimp make the tank look so plain and empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenagwynn View Post
I have 4 Gold White Clouds in a 5 gal tank, will add a fifth one. They are beautiful, peaceful and sturdy little beasts. Just make sure you feed them with something really small, as they have tiny mouths (like hikari micropellets or flakes crumbled between your fingers). Theoretically they prefer colder water, but mine are doing fine in ~75 F
Do you keep them with shrimp? I've heard some incidences where they aren't good with shrimp.
Shrimpo_Brian is offline  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 04:17 PM
Algae Grower
 
Brenagwynn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 34
I'm going to add some RCS soon. I read and heard more than once that white clouds are safe and compatible with shrimp. They are small, have tiny mouths and are peaceful. I like Gold variation very much. Here are some pics of them in my tank


You just keep on trying till you run out of cake
Brenagwynn is offline  
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Shrimpo_Brian's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenagwynn View Post
I'm going to add some RCS soon. I read and heard more than once that white clouds are safe and compatible with shrimp. They are small, have tiny mouths and are peaceful. I like Gold variation very much. Here are some pics of them in my tank

How big is your tank? Considering these fish grow up to 2 inches and they need to swim in school, I don't think the tank is big enough.
Shrimpo_Brian is offline  
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 05:11 PM
Algae Grower
 
Brenagwynn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 34
I have 4 in a 5 gal tank. Perhaps I won't add another one after all.

You just keep on trying till you run out of cake
Brenagwynn is offline  
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Shrimpo_Brian's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenagwynn View Post
I have 4 in a 5 gal tank. Perhaps I won't add another one after all.
Yeah because I read that to be happiest they need to be in groups of 8+ and I cannot afford that much in a 4 gallon tank.
Shrimpo_Brian is offline  
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Knotyoureality's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,369
Lots of nano fish are potential candidates and getting all males would ensure plenty of color and no breeding, but they're not always easily available and often pricey even when you can find 'em.

For a get-it-now option, the major pet-chains commonly carry hybrid endler/guppy crosses. Or check thru the guppies--I've been seeing more showing up lately that are smaller than the usual and don't have the absurdly long fins.
Knotyoureality is offline  
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Neatfish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpo_Brian View Post
I've looked into bettas and I don't think that's a good idea as most occurances end up in the cherry shrimp being a meal
I have a betta with red cherry shrimp in my 10g for months now with no problem.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Neatfish is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome