Project Joy of Work 3.0 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Project Joy of Work 3.0

I have decided to redo my small aquarium at work that I built just before Xmas (see https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=783650)

I wasn't happy with the Finnex 2.5G tank. I don't know what it is. It just doesn't feel right.

So, the new plan is to start from Mr. Aqua Joy 3.0 bowfront and keep all accessories. Also, I am doing some custom acrylic work with it to make it nicer.

I have cut and glued (using silicone) piece of 1/8" thick black acrylic, so the aquarium has a nice black background.

I am working on custom tank 1/4" acrylic cover. It will have 1" raisers for the Finnex FugeRay Planted+ light, cutout for the filter, and some little cutout for feeding. I will also add 2 - 3" high strip of smoke grey acrylic in front of the light so the light will not shine in my face when I am at my desk.

The landscape is going to change considerably. I got some new piece of wood and rocks, little ceramic cave, and some small Anubias Nana, Staurogyne Repens and one Crinum (Calamistratum)?. Hopefully I will reuse some plants from existing tank and maybe get some cuttings from my home tank.

The Crinum looks so cool. I am not sure whether it will go into work or home tank ;-)

So here is the plan:

Mr Aqua Joy 3G bowfront (from eBay)
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Aqua-Aquarium-Placement-3-Gallon/dp/B009YZPZ8E/
http://www.amazon.com/d/p/B00GH9HRZ4/
http://www.amazon.com/Marina-C10-Compact-Heater-10-Watt/dp/B003TLWWOO/
http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-06080-QuietFlow-Filter-100GPH/dp/B000SP65N8/ cartridge filter with a little extra bag of ceramic donuts

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Mini-Pressurized-20g-CO2-Kit/dp/B0049RL3H4/
http://www.amazon.com/AQUA-UA-025S-Acrylic-Diffuser-Small/dp/B00LO0LCJI/

Update - all done

All done. The acrylic cover is finished. I put a panel of gray acrylic in front of the light so it doesnt spill into the room that much.

The plants:
Anubias Nana
Anubias Afzelli
Crinum Calamistratum
Java Fern
Telanthere Cardinalis
Bacopa Caroliniana
Staurogyne Repens

The fish:
4 Endlers

Here is how it looks like right now

So, what do you guys think? Critique, advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Joy3Stage1.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	411186  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Joy3Stage2.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	412698  

Last edited by 0xDEADBEEF; 01-07-2015 at 04:09 AM. Reason: tank finished
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 02:26 PM
dru
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I will be following this setup

I have the same tank, it has been a challenge to scape

I dig the acrylic work so far!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Algae Grower

AFAIK it is not recommended to have activated carbon in the filter, unless you were medicating your fish and now you want to remove medications from the water.
Other than that - nice setup!

You just keep on trying till you run out of cake

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, it is finished now
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 06:36 PM
dru
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks good

Are you going to have any clean up crew?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The guppies seem to eat stuff from the bottom sometimes and nibble on algae, and the filter is strong enough that most of the uneaten food ends up in the filter. It would be nice to have some algae eater and bottom feeder though. But cories are social creatures so 6 of them would be insane in such a little tank. I am not sure if one otocinclus would be happy either.

I definitely do not want snails. Every day when I change the cucumber piece in my home tank I throw away tens of tiny snails in the trash. And it all started so innocently, with a single Nerite Snail.

I am open for suggestion about some small solitary algae eater or bottom feeder.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenagwynn View Post
AFAIK it is not recommended to have activated carbon in the filter, unless you were medicating your fish and now you want to remove medications from the water.
Other than that - nice setup!
Thanks.

Why wouldn't I want filter with activated carbon? I use activated carbon with ammonia neutralizer (Marineland Diamond Blend) in my Edge 6G with good results as well.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 11:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The plants and bio-bacteria live off of the ammonia so the ammonia neutralizer seems
to be counter productive unless the tank is overstocked.
I do believe that it's more thought to be a waste of carbon than any actual negative
result from it. Seems the carbon doesn't have but a very short life span of ability to
absorb whatever it absorbs before becoming "full" of the whatever.
Then there are some who believe it leaches it back if not removed at the end of this
useful life span. But do we really know ?
But then one cannot devalue the old "If it ain't broke don't fix it" either can you.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, sometimes I brew a little cup of catappa leaves tea and add it to my tanks. It turns the water a bit yellow for a while but afterward it becomes clear again. I think activated carbon absorbs some of the color from the water. Even with ammonia neutralizer I think there is plenty of ammonia and nitrates for bacteria to thrive on. My tank at home is definitely overstocked and so is this one. It may be just 4 little guppies right now but all conventional aquatic wisdom says it is too much. So I'd rather err on a side of strong filtration and removing as much from the water as possible. I can always does a little of API Leaf Zone to give the plants some boost. I'd rather have too little nutrients in the water than too much.

I am also considering stocking with some tiny rasboras. There are some species that grow up to 0.5 - 0.8 inches only and they have tiny body mass, probably like 1/8 of a guppy. So I think I could have whole bunch of them in 3g tank.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Today I bought new inhabitants for this tank: an Asian Stone Catfish and a Dwarf Puffer.
I also transferred some snails from my main tank into this one for the puffer to much on. It found the first one within 15 minutes of being added to the tank and attacked it. I am going to call him Pitbull ;-)
The catfish on the other hand is just chilling on the bottom, blending in perfectly with substrate. I dropped a little wafer for it, hopefully it will find it and eat it when the lights will go out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode