fluval Spec III lighting options - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
fluval Spec III lighting options

Im going to do a low tech planted fluval spec III. I dont believe the stock light is capable of supporting much life so i have 3 options

Fluval Mini Power Compact Lamp 13w
http://www.atgstores.com/aquarium-ac...FWgF7AodXiUAsQ

Finnex StingRAY LED Clip Light
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LMH10HC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Mr. Aqua Ultrathin Aquarium LED Clip Light
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5YJ54G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
I want some nice plants, maybe something red, i would love to do a carpet but i dont want to trim so idk if thats a option. It will be dosed with seachem comprehensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 10:50 PM
Algae Grower

I'd go for the StingRAY but Mr. Aqua does look very slick ;-)
And also look at http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Fluval-Nano-Plant-Performance/dp/B00BNRZB0S/
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was afriad the finnex would not put out enough light, but this is my first nano. I do like the mr.aqua cause it seems to produce a nice light spectrum. But there aren't many reviews on it.
And i never saw that fluval light. I like but would it be too much light for a low tech?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 03:31 AM
Planted Member

I have the StingRay on my 2.5g. It's pretty nice, growing plants well so far (brand new tank) new sprouts on everything, only dosing excel daily. Bright light, brings out color nicely, runs at a normal temp. I have it clipped on to the glass, the included plastic screw to secure it is pretty strong. Worth buying I think

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 03:59 AM
Planted Member

Why not just the 10" Fugeray? Not a clip light so it will be closer and cleaner looking.

The hood on the StingRay is 9.5 inches, and you also have the clip taking away length. You will have significant hang over the front. Remember the actual space of a Spec III is less than 8 inches.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That is a option, but i wasnt sure about that because i would have to remove the lid and that would result in a high rate of evaporation.

Bump: But either way im open to all suggestions to get the best light for my set up.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have a 12" stingray on a 7.5 gallon and it's growing a variety of plants including ludwigia. I would think the 10" version would be fine for the spec III.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75g “Skull Island” | 5g Top Fin Engage | 3 gal vase

Zoo Med Small Tall Vivarium
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Since we're on the subject of Spec lights. Can anyone tell me the specifications on the transformer box for the light? My used tank came with the light, but no transformer box. I can't find a single post or picture on the net that tells me the volts/amps for a replacement.

10 gallon bow-front,
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I feel like you should start a different thread or contact fluval yourself
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexp08 View Post
That is a option, but i wasnt sure about that because i would have to remove the lid and that would result in a high rate of evaporation.

Bump: But either way im open to all suggestions to get the best light for my set up.
You don't have to remove the lid you can just set it on top. You can trim the lid to clamp it to the glass or just forget the clamps.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
Since we're on the subject of Spec lights. Can anyone tell me the specifications on the transformer box for the light? My used tank came with the light, but no transformer box. I can't find a single post or picture on the net that tells me the volts/amps for a replacement.
Output: 5V 500mA

I was thinking it was stronger than that. Probably less than 2 watts to the LEDs. Wow. I grew lilaeopsis for 4 months with that weakling.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
I feel like you should try the Spec III light before you rule it out. Especially if you have nearby sunlight, you'll have enough light to grow certain plants.

Oops, I just saw the end of your post - "I want some nice plants, maybe something red, i would love to do a carpet ..." The stock light won't cut it for truly red or carpet plants. Here's a picture of my Spec III that was in an office building near windows facing east. No reds or carpet but it had some color.

Last edited by RWaters; 01-04-2015 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added picture
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I like that. but there are no windows in my office, which is where the tank is located. ive leaning towards the Fluval Mini Power Compact Lamp but i almost think that would be too much light as i dont want to inject co2 at this point
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 02:06 AM
Planted Member

Just don't do a carpet and stick with the stock light using low light plants? I think the light will keep any low light plant green and healthy looking. It made my micro swords taller than they should be but this isn't some decision you need to make even within months of setting it up. This is the beauty of low tech tanks.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well i currently have some temple narrow plants in it and they arent doing to great. So i was assuming the light wasnt adequate.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Correction. The temple narrows are dead. What are some really low light plants that will do well with the stock light?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode