Thoughts on stock nano kits - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
Thoughts on stock nano kits

I'm tossing around the idea of adding a nano tank to my living room. I've done some research, on-and-off, over a year or so. It seems like even if you spend a good chunk of change for a relatively small tank, you still have to upgrade a lot of equipment and almost double the initial tank cost. I'd like to have a 4-7 gallon tank (5 would be perfect/ideal) with a few small critters and some low(ish) light plants: perhaps some moss, crypts, anubias, marsilea, java fern...that type of stuff. Is there anything out there that you can just buy and set up right out of the box, stock, and have some success with? I was eyeballing a Fluval Spec V, but I've heard nothing but bad things about the lighting. I guess I'd say I would be willing to spend around/up to $150-$175, provided it could be done stock, without upgrading anything. I'd be dosing ferts and carbon. Thanks for any opinions/input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 11:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've heard a lot of good things about the eheim aqua style tanks. I have a fluval flora and had to upgrade the filter the co2 and added a second light. Looking back on it I should've bought the eheim. $109 for a 4gal at marinedepot.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 12:15 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Petco has a very nice looking kit. They don't show it online and not every store has it.
It is called a Arc 6.25 it is $70 but like all kits I've found it needs a better light.
Here is a thread with some details.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=677929
And I would get this light $43
http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRay-Aquarium-Moonlights-Cliplight/dp/B00LIL7YPE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1420247267&sr=8-4&keywords=finnex

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I had a fluval 5 set up for over a year it grew moss, crypts, and Windlov java fern with the stock light. It contained one male betta.
Nice tank. The only negative for me was that I was afraid to put shrimp or guppy fry in it because of the grates in the filter chamber. I was afraid that anything to small would end up in the filter.
I did not dose ferts but did use root tabs for the crypts.
Simple and easy.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
Cool, thanks all. The Spec V is ideal for me not only because I like the look, but it's perfectly sized for the space I had planned for the potential tank. I saw the thread wherein people had posted pics of their Spec Vs and I was pretty impressed, but it seemed like most people had heavily modified theirs....I could be wrong about that though. I might just give it a go and see how it comes out....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 04:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I think you will be happy with it. Plus it's actually glass which is a bonus. I ran it for awhile with the carbon and kept buying replacements but then stopped and just ran it with the sponge and the bio rings. The sponge just gets squeezed out weekly in the drained tank water and put back in the tank. No more cartridges. Good luck
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 04:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
you could also go with the IM nuvo fusion 10 gallong for $99. comes with everything but a heater and light. throw a planted+ on it and you're good to go. plus its low iron, and comes with a screen mesh lid for jumpers. i have the spec v and the big downside is the very limited amount of room to aquascape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode