The "Newly married got no cash" "5g hex" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
The "Newly married got no cash" "5g hex"

I finally graduated from Michigan Tech, finally away from my shoestring budget with a real job that allows me to put my money to...loan payments My old tank was donated to the new owners of our old house. When I left, everything was growing pretty well, but I was in such a hurry to get to my new place that I forgot to gank a bunch of plants to start a new tank.

I got settled in, got married, and now have my wife's 5g hex tank that I gave her for her birthday last year. Had a variety of things in it, but I finally broke it down (was a mess) and have this:

Just dwarf hairgrass. That is all. The tank is well cycled and currently houses 2 otos and 3 platys.

I am kind of thinking of just having a hairgrass carpet, but maybe (definitely) need something taller in the back to obscure the view of the heater and filter pipe.

Any suggestions (or donations )?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by danakin; 02-22-2009 at 04:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
what about a piece of wood. I could donate a piece or 3... lmk via pm what the inside dimensions are.. Maybe find some moss to attach to it like weeping or christmas.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks expect your wood wednesday of friday.

Craig

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 03:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Congrats on everything.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
cograts to everything, considering this on a super budget its done well! i hope to see this drift wood soon. you should consider a nice stem plant like a rotala sp. i have some rotala rotundifolia in my 2.5 and it grows nicely with a touch of pink in it. this could add a little contrast to the grass and grows tall to cover up the main concerns. then when you get your DW, get some moss. this will add a bit more conrast to the bright green as well. good luck in your future endevours, and this tank.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks guys for all the congrats

Quick question on trimming: how long after planting do you want to trim? I would like to let the hairgrass root in a little (2 weeks or so) before I prune it back to encourage runner growth, but is that too short an acclimation period?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakin View Post
Thanks guys for all the congrats

Quick question on trimming: how long after planting do you want to trim? I would like to let the hairgrass root in a little (2 weeks or so) before I prune it back to encourage runner growth, but is that too short an acclimation period?
actually, i trimmed before i plant it.. but, you can trimmed after 2 weeks..(please CMIIW)..no need to worry..

and also, i have a suggestion, put one unique stone in the middle of ur tank..it's gonna be awesome...(just a piece of my mind, please ignore it if you already satisfied)
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The two MM platys crashed last night. At first I thought it was a pH swing (haven't tested today), but the otos seem to be extremely happy and healthy. Looking at them, they have some sort of deterioration on their tail fins (quite noticeable, looks like something bit a chunk out of them). Back at Petsmart (where I got them, wishing there was a better LFS in town), the rest of the tank looks decently healthy, with a few of the MM platys showing the same symptoms. The red platy tank looks fine.

I don't even bother with trying to return dead fish to the Petsmart here anymore. No matter what I show em, they always claim my water quality is poor. Pulling out technicalities like "You didn't put aquarium salt in to this concentration" etc.

So I'm down to a lonely red platy and two happy otos.

post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 03:44 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
The two MM platys crashed last night. At first I thought it was a pH swing (haven't tested today), but the otos seem to be extremely happy and healthy. Looking at them, they have some sort of deterioration on their tail fins (quite noticeable, looks like something bit a chunk out of them). Back at Petsmart (where I got them, wishing there was a better LFS in town), the rest of the tank looks decently healthy, with a few of the MM platys showing the same symptoms. The red platy tank looks fine.

I don't even bother with trying to return dead fish to the Petsmart here anymore. No matter what I show em, they always claim my water quality is poor. Pulling out technicalities like "You didn't put aquarium salt in to this concentration" etc.

So I'm down to a lonely red platy and two happy otos.
I learned through my 10 years of fish keeping that it is better to understock than overstock and even fully stock. A 10 gallon experiment where I felt that fully planting a tank would compensate for overstocking proved to be a dismal failure, resulting in one fish death after another.

As far as your 5 gallon hex goes, I have the exact same tank. What is in that tank is nothing more than 2 Amano Shrimp, an Assassin Snail, and one Otocat and some unwelcomed mini ramshorn type looking snails that likely came with the plants. I would not stock anything more as this seems to be what the tank seems to be able to sustain. A while ago, I added a healthy bumble bee shrimp, thinking that an addition of a shrimp would create no issues. The shrimp kicked the bucket in like two days. Prior to that, I added an Amano Shrimp as I thought three Amano Shrimp was a good number - Three's Company. Well one of the Amano Shrimp kicked the bucket. I don't think this is just coincidence. To me, it is more a sign or signal that the Tank is at it's capacity with what it can support, critter wise.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Criagthor's driftwood came in yesterday! It looks pretty darn good. Currently soaking in the tank. I also picked up some broad leafed ludwigia (wife's pick).

Quick question: the driftwood came with some dried moss on it. If I understand correctly, the rhizome may still be able to live and revive the moss?

post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I have deen some of the deadest driest looking moss become viable again. All you need is patience.

Also congratulation on your marriage.

Quote:
Criagthor's driftwood came in yesterday! It looks pretty darn good. Currently soaking in the tank. I also picked up some broad leafed ludwigia (wife's pick).

Quick question: the driftwood came with some dried moss on it. If I understand correctly, the rhizome may still be able to live and revive the moss?

post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)
[QUOTE=brt_p;748337]actually, i trimmed before i plant it.. but, you can trimmed after 2 weeks..(please CMIIW)..no need to worry..
QUOTE]
Now why didn't I think of this Thanks, better late than never

So is everyone who donated married or engaged? Just curious if it was a sympathy.... I mean shared happiness thing

post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm married most of the time sometimes its easier to be single though

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
I'm married most of the time sometimes its easier to be single though
It comes down to the wise words of Curly from the threes stooges "Are you married or happy?"
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Heh, happily married. :-D

Holy cow. Upped the lighting to 4wpg (which is kinda a crock, seeing as the hex hood limits light to the rear of the tank. I will be working on a new hood/filter setup in a while to remedy this once I draw up plans and buy my wife something nice "for her") by switching out the CF bulb. Dosing Excel now in addition to DIY CO2, and everything has taken off in a span of 4 days. The ludwigia has a ton of roots shooting, and I'm seeing runners on the hairgrass starting to web out much more rapidly. Ludwigia is also starting to get that red hue, and I'm psyched about it.

Pictures later tonight.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode