Getting back into planted tanks, could use help w/ 12 g nano! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting back into planted tanks, could use help w/ 12 g nano!

Hi, I'm new to this forum and a bit unfamiliar with high tech "fancy" planted tanks. I've had a 10 gallon planted tank in the past with a few plants, but later sold it to focus on my saltwater reef. Now I'd like to get back in the planted tank world so I just ordered a Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long tank and a 36"-48" Current USA LED+ to light it. I've done some research, but could really use clarification/some advice as to what to buy.

Filter: I've read eheim 2213 or 2215..not sure which one to go with, but leaning towards the cheaper option. Any opinions?

Substrate: Amazonia or fluval stratum? What are the difference in these besides price?

Also, kind of silly question, but what's the difference between filling tank w/ water then putting plants in or growing the plants in moist soil then later putting in water?

Thanks, any feedback helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Talking about the plants. When you do a DSM (dry start method) you allow the plants to grow emerged in moist soil to allow the roots to take and allow the plant to begin to carpet. I used this method on my old TruAqua 8.7 gallon tank and it worked beautifully. A good period I have found for DSM is around 3-4 weeks to allow the roots to take and to allow the plants to grow and spread.
When you fill a tank and then plant it, the only real difference I found was that it is more work to keep the plants attached to the substrate for the first couple weeks, but after that the plants will grow fine. If you are using a plant such as dwarf baby tears you will need to inject co2 if you plant them after the water is in the tank, otherwise growth will be very slow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.radich View Post
Talking about the plants. When you do a DSM (dry start method) you allow the plants to grow emerged in moist soil to allow the roots to take and allow the plant to begin to carpet. I used this method on my old TruAqua 8.7 gallon tank and it worked beautifully. A good period I have found for DSM is around 3-4 weeks to allow the roots to take and to allow the plants to grow and spread.
When you fill a tank and then plant it, the only real difference I found was that it is more work to keep the plants attached to the substrate for the first couple weeks, but after that the plants will grow fine. If you are using a plant such as dwarf baby tears you will need to inject co2 if you plant them after the water is in the tank, otherwise growth will be very slow.
Thanks for the explanation, makes much more sense. I like the look of baby tears, so I'll go with that, using the DSM of course.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
It is one of my favorite carpet plants, just make sure to have lots of light because otherwise it will want to grow up instead of out, but with the tank you have and the light you are using you should have enough light
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Great, thanks Matt!

Okay, so I'm planning on buying Amazonia aqua soil and 10(?) lbs of Seiryu stone from eBay or manzanita wood. Not sure yet.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes! Tank and light delivered today and they are both so awesome and gorgeous

(Ghirardelli chocolate for reference)

Cat had to check it out of course

Would look cool with the manzanita wood, but I recall years ago the wood held a lot of algae and turned the water brown. Plus I already bought 15 lbs of stone.

I made quite a mess getting the aquarium out. It was really well packed.

There it is in all it's glory. Temporary spot.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just got the same tank and light setup on Monday (agreed, VERY well packed) with about the same plan. Dsm hc and rocks. I went with the fluval stratum just because I could get it locally but fair warning the deceiving little 12 gallon needs a lot of substrate especially if you want hills. I used about 15# of eco complete I had from a previous tank underneath another 9 lbs of fluval stratum to get the hills I wanted. Good luck with the tank. I'll have a similar set up in the tank journal tab once it gets going. Subscribed.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump421 View Post
I just got the same tank and light setup on Monday (agreed, VERY well packed) with about the same plan. Dsm hc and rocks. I went with the fluval stratum just because I could get it locally but fair warning the deceiving little 12 gallon needs a lot of substrate especially if you want hills. I used about 15# of eco complete I had from a previous tank underneath another 9 lbs of fluval stratum to get the hills I wanted. Good luck with the tank. I'll have a similar set up in the tank journal tab once it gets going. Subscribed.
Thanks for the warning, I ordered 9L of ADA powder substrate which is ~20lbs and works perfectly to get a 2" substrate bed. I'll definitely check yours out once you get a thread started! Good luck

Substrate and rocks came in yesterday and I arranged them quickly. Not sure about the left side, but kind of liking the right. I have an extra rock I don't know what to do with. Oh and this is the cleanest, most expensive substrate I've ever got. Still wondering if $64 for dirt & it's shipping is worth it...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode