Pga's MINI M: Tranquility - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Red face Pga's MINI M: Tranquility

After lurking on this site for almost 3 weeks now, I decided to take the plunge into the world of planted tanks. My inspiration for this tank came from many sources including the ADA site, Ugly Genius' Source, Ugly Genius' Revolution, Diana, EPICFish and many others.

Tank: ADA Mini M
Substrate: 3 liter aqua soil powder, 1 liter aqua soil
Light: Hampton Bay 27 W
Filter: undecided
Co2: Undecided

Here is the tank after 2 days (2 hours each) of tedious planting of HC. At this point, the tank will undergo an immersed process in order to fill out the foreground. Please ignore the ghetto background... DIY frosted background in the works.

Last edited by pga7602; 12-21-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You'll probs want to cover it up with celophane if you're going to do the 'dry-start' method. Hopefully that will fill in really beautiful- can't wait!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearunSimpson View Post
You'll probs want to cover it up with celophane if you're going to do the 'dry-start' method. Hopefully that will fill in really beautiful- can't wait!
Thanks for noticing. I actually took it off to get the pic and quickly wrapped it back up. This is my first time doing this, so hopefully did it correctly. I left about 2 inches uncovered to allow air to come in. Is this necessary?

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Very nice start. I just set up a mini m as well and really like this size...

def

jbj 24dx red sea paintball co2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Very nice!

The 2 inch hole might be big but I'm not positive. If you don't see condensation building up on the inside of the tank, the hole is to big. You could probably do a .5" hole with no trouble.

Ehfipimp #340!!!
(2215)

post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dougiefresh: I was lucky enough to have a LFS with the whole line of ADA nano's instock. This allowed me to see all of them in person, and the one I wanted was still the Mini M. Like you said, perfect Dims.

Fishboy87: Thanks. I took your advice and close the slid to 1inch for more Humidity action
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
pga, did you get your tank at Nature Aquarium or All About Fish? For such a small tank, I would just buy about 5 pots of HC and be done with it. I understand the benefits of starting emerced but it will be a while until you get a full carpet, and its such a small tank. Just my two pennies. The rocks are nice but they are too small to scale If your going for an Iwagumi look. Most of the rock should be at least be half of the height of the tank, if not taller. Look at the mini m's in the ADA gallery and all the stones are really tall. If your gonna add wood and do a nature style tank then those rocks will be fine.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIMOBALL View Post
pga, did you get your tank at Nature Aquarium or All About Fish? For such a small tank, I would just buy about 5 pots of HC and be done with it. I understand the benefits of starting emerced but it will be a while until you get a full carpet, and its such a small tank. Just my two pennies. The rocks are nice but they are too small to scale If your going for an Iwagumi look. Most of the rock should be at least be half of the height of the tank, if not taller. Look at the mini m's in the ADA gallery and all the stones are really tall. If your gonna add wood and do a nature style tank then those rocks will be fine.
I ordered the tank online through AFA. Glad you notice my not so big rock in the middle.

When I got it from Nature aquarium, I thought it looked bigger outside of the tank and did not want to ask the owner if I can place the rock in his display for comparison... so now.. I either have to work with it, or fork out another 30 bucks for another rock....

I should make up my mind by the end of next week. In the mean time, I'm going to let things grow out. The reason for waiting on the HC to grow naturally was not for cost savings. I really like to grow things out and see the progress in it. I don't mind waiting...
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
You don't have to create a true Iwagumi to have a gorgeous tank. Tanks grow and change over time, and you may end up with something you never expected or thought you wanted. I initially laid down a significant chunk of change on rocks when I set up my tank, and then I ended up using a handful of rocks that I found on my own on a trip to the Poconos mountains.

I do think that your HC would benefit tremendously from CO2.
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
You don't have to create a true Iwagumi to have a gorgeous tank. Tanks grow and change over time, and you may end up with something you never expected or thought you wanted. I initially laid down a significant chunk of change on rocks when I set up my tank, and then I ended up using a handful of rocks that I found on my own on a trip to the Poconos mountains.

I do think that your HC would benefit tremendously from CO2.
Frosty: you hit it right on the mark. I was not trying to go for an Iwagumi, or any style for that matter. My vision was a field of grass on a windy day with a group of rocks. I am definitely not going for a mountain scene...

I'm not 100% sure of the rocks, but I will know when things grow out. The rocks will stay until the HC grows and DHG gets planted.
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Took the advice of my friend and lowered the middle rock. To me the hard scape seem to flow better now.

HC is still doing good. I keep staring at it to make sure it's growing lol...
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
^thats awsome! thanks i needed the laugh this early in the morning.

this tank is going to look really nice, and yes i do see a difference in the HC. pacience is key me thinks.
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am patiently waiting for my HC to grow....
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 05:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
This is supposed to be the best way to grow the HC. Hats off to you! Planting it is the hardest part - and you don't have any fish to uproot it. Good going!

Just keeping on keeping on....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode