5.5 Gallon Rimless Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
5.5 Gallon Rimless Journal

Ok, I have decided to try a small rimless tank for my next project. The tank is a standard 5.5 gallon that has surprisingly nice silicone work. The top rim was cracked anyways, so I figured why not. I saved the bottom piece intact so I can always put a rim back on it.

Currently, the tank is being test filled in my garage. It has no visible bowing and seems sturdy enough. My only concern is how thin the glass is. It seems thinner than a 10g?

Lighting will be a 27w desk lamp(the home depot special)
Substrate I have not decided on, but most likely will be a thin layer of topsoil covered in fine sand or shultz aquatic soil.
I will set up DIY co2 for this tank, but not right away....
Filtration for now will be a small tom's HOB...I have a zoomed 501 canister, but the inlets and outlets are really ugly.

Plants will be decided later, but I am thinking lots of dwarf sag in the front, with taller italian val in the back. I will have a hardscape of petrified wood and maybe some other small pieces of driftwood.

Fish are also still undecided, but I might skip on the fish and make this a shrimp tank. I have never had any shrimp besides ghost, so the whole thing is new to me. If I do go with fish, it will probably be a couple oto's and maybe some very small schooling fish...

Here is a picture of the tank and light in it's place...I just set it there for the picture-when it is full I will have a pad underneath.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
The silicone work on that tank does look pretty clean, looks like you did a good job de-rimming as well.

Here's a hint on the light: take off the bottom and turn it around backwards - you have to snap off a little plastic bit so it will fit this way - and put it back together. Then the small side of the base can go up against the tank and the light will sit more above the center of the tank.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome tip! I thought I was just going to have to deal with it...
The tank is still holding water fine and I am fairly sure it will last long term...If this tank makes it long term. I have a bad habit of changing my mind about 104 times before something gets broken and I have to start all over with a different tank.

Now I need to find something to do with my 4 20 gallons this is replacing..........

I think I have also decided to use the canister filter. I am going to attempt to make some clear pipes for it, too.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, I have started the set-up process. I put down a very shallow layer of some leftover mineralized topsoil covered with paver sand. The substrate at deepest is only about 1 1/2", but I wanted this tank to look like a much bigger tank. Anyways, I also have my two pieces of hardscape ready.
Here are some pictures of the rock, sand and tank-

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Planting has begun! I took all the pathetic pieces of hygrophila from my 75 and put them in this tank. I also added some italian val and one lone dwarf sag. A few strands of java moss also made their way into the tank, as always. I am going to have salvinia for a floating plant-it should block out some of the light until I get more plants and co2 set up.

I have been thinking about going pressurized with this tank...I have never done it before. I would like to use a paintball co2 if it would be cheaper. I just don't know if I want to spend $150 on a regulator or not.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Planted Member

looking good! ill be tuning into your tank and probably stealing ideas here and there for my 5.5
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to innerchi89 Send a message via Yahoo to innerchi89
wow those rocks looked really big, until i saw the last picture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Those rocks are also touching the bottom of the tank. I pushed them deep into the substrate so nothing goes anaerobic down there. I wish I could just set them in a little, but because of the soil I have heard that you aren't supposed to put much on the surface...but I could be wrong?

Anyways, I have finished planting for now. I ended up using some italian val on the left, behind the rock and a little on the side. Hygrophila sp. will be the main plant in this tank for now, because I filled up the middle and right rear with some beat up pieces I had left over. I also have two small anubias nana infront of the rock, because I had no place for them in my 75. I have two lonely dwarf sag. in the right front that will hopefully send out many runners and cover the whole right front.

Here are some pictures-

Let me know what you think, I still have a lot of plants to go in this tank, but I am going to let stuff grow for now and see how it goes.

I am still undecided on the fauna...I would love some cherry shrimp, but cannot find any locally. I feel this tank will remain plant only until I find something interesting.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I have added some local hairgrass...or what I believe to be hairgrass. I also took out the anubias because I didn't think they fit in very well...

Here are some pictures of the tank now-

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

tank looks good, kinda neat that you collected plants from outside and not the LFS
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, there are still a few perks to living in Florida. Just about every ditch on the side of the road has this hairgrass in it. All my jungle val, hygrophila, bacopa, and a lot more un ID'd plants have been found within 5 miles from where I live. It helps to have a kayak and some spare time.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Hey there LeoDeal. What a nice looking, Gulf-of-Florida looking nano you got going on there.

What have been your experiences thus far with your Zoomed 501?

46G Bowfront:

Lighting: 78 Watts T5HO (1.7 watts per gallon)

Substrate: 80 lbs Eco-Complete.

--------------------------

5.5 Gallon ADA Nano: Fish need to be restocked.

Plants: Background of Marsilea Minuta, Myrio Simulan and a random Anubia.

Lighting: 13W 6500K Jebo.

Heating: Non-Brand Name 100W 8" glass heater (sounds crazy but great heater)

Substrate: Pond soil from a landscaping store; 1/2 inch of Eco-Complete on top.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
where in FL are you from? ive got that hairgrass all over the stream in my backyard, i think its eleocharis vivipara

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode