Guppies in 2g jar? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Guppies in 2g jar?

I have a couple 2 gallon jars laying around and I was wondering if it would be possible, if I planted them, to house a couple guppies? Or is that just too small?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Algae Grower

Personally, I do believe 2 gallons to be too small for the well being of the fish.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 11:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
It really depends on if you're willing to do the work required on your end. The larger the volume/airsurface area ratio etc.. the more room for error...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My jar is doing okay with three baby female guppies and a male endler, but I plan on moving the three guppies out as soon as my new 30 gallon is cycled.

If the jar is well planted and filtered it should be okay to have two guppies granted you do regular tests and water changes. In the very least they shouldn't die. They won't be ask active or colorful as other guppies in a bigger tank.

36g-- 2 female axolotls// 10g --3 6" axoltols (Dirty/blue gill lucy (rehoming)) // 40 gallon breeder -- 4.5 inch Painted Turtle // 29 gallon -- 1.5 inch painted turtle //
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't think you should do it. It's possible, bio-load-wise, but the fish need more space to be happy. Two male endlers might be okay, depending on how you aquascape, and assuming you do frequent tests/water changes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree with Betta123, instead of Guppies do Endlers.

Fluval Chi 5G: Honey Gouramis, Betta, & Neon Tetra x4
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 07:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regenesis View Post
I agree with Betta123, instead of Guppies do Endlers.
I actually disagree. Endlers aren't weighed down by heavy fins that guppies have, and if anything, are more energetic. I would avoid them.

One livebearer that could do perfectly well in that space is Heterandria Formosa, the Least Killie (which isn't actually a killie). It's the smallest of all livebearers, and what it lacks in color it more than makes up in personality. The males are always having sparring matches (never saw any injuries), the females are always actively ignoring the males, and the males are always pouting about the females. Extremely entertaining, haha. They also don't reproduce out of control, might give birth every other day, but it's generally only 1 fry at a time, every 1-5 days.

I had a breeding colony of over 20 once in a 5, and 3 males in a 3/4 gallon bowl. Honestly, there was no difference in behavior, except the males desperately wanted females (and decided the smallest male was female enough). You could probably have 4-6 in a 2 gallon bowl, if it was well planted, filtered, and had regular water changes. Heater is optional- Het formosas can handle 40-85 degree water. 60-75 degrees seems to be the best range however.

Some of the best fish I ever had, even if they weren't as colorful as guppies.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode