Fluval SpecV filter chamber vs. OEBT shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval SpecV filter chamber vs. OEBT shrimp

Self-confessed nano-newb here....I currently have a SpecV set up planted, Finnex LED light with a handful of OEBT & cherry red shrimp. I'm running the factory filter on it and am having issues with the shrimp getting into the filter chamber that sits below the filtration media. I've tried using craft plastic mesh to set up a moss wall (shrimp got between the mesh & the wall of the tank), have tried adjusting the height of the filter sponge and placing the plastic mesh inside the sponge chamber (between the sponge and the wall). I think they're climbing into the smaller chamber where the actual filter motor sits. Should I just use the mesh to "cage" the top of that chamber? I had trouble with the filter chambers not fully filling with water when I've put anything in front of the intakes. Suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 07:26 PM
Algae Grower

what i did is i have blocks of filter sponge to place on top of the specv 5 filter sponge. i have it pushed against the cuts to the overflow. for the bottom cut at the bottom, i cut a small piece of sponge and stuff it in the cut. that way water still circulate. a few ppl on here silicone that part and sometimes the overflow chamber floods. goodluck!

~fish are friends not food~
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 10:32 PM
Algae Grower

on my spec v i blocked off the bottom hole with a small piece of plastic and superglue. your overflow cannot work properly until the bottom hole is covered. once the hole is covered your water level in the filtration chambers will need to be adjusted and maintained. as the water evaporates the water level in the filter chamber will drop but the display water level will remain the same. that is how systems with true overflows work and is normal. there is also no way to overflow the filtration chambers unless you over fill the entire tank. also, once you block the bottom hole, you will have much less surface scum.

and CVM, if you block off the bottom hole and the water level drops, just add more water till the water level in the filtration chambers is roughly 1/4" below the display volume so you still maintain the surface skimming ability of the overflow.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you're concerned they are coming through the top, I use a piece of filter floss, fold it up a bunch and then stuff in under the handle on the foam block.

I raised very tiny apistogramma fry in mine and I was always worried they would go over the top and die.

I used to have a reef tank with a sump and it had a similar setup with the overflow.

One day I came home and my clownfish had hopped over the overflow and got stuck on the filter media and died. So I always worry about that kind of thing now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode