Fluval III lighting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval III lighting

I have a fluval spec III at my office, im hoping to do a mixture of nice plants but im not sure if the stock light is adequate. Anyone have any experience with this or a better light option i could go with? thanks

Last edited by Alexp08; 12-30-2014 at 10:28 PM. Reason: question change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

anyone?!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 03:38 AM
Algae Grower

Can you attach a ciip-on light instead? Finnex makes some, or Mr. Aqua or Fluval Nano Aqua Life.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 02:06 PM
Algae Grower

Just got a fluval spec 3 for my girlfriend and I've been thinking about the lighting A LOT. Took 8 hours of planning to get a set of plants that will (or should I say might) work.

Looking for other light alternatives and I've found two options that most people choose:

1)
A Finnex fugeray 10'' apparently fits nicely, but the original clip at the back of the spec for the stock light cant be removed so the light needs to be put on slightly off center and the plastic cover might need modding. This light is 4 watts so you'll get about 1.6W per gallon.

If you get 2 Finnex fugerays then you'll get 3.2W per gallon and you arrange the lights to make the tank look symmetrical.

2)
You're other option is the Fluval Mini Power Compact Lamp 13W. Search for it and you'll find some reviews (and some pictures of small tanks with this light). It's Fluval brand so will fit on the spec walls nicely. Most people I've come across go for one of these and find it's better than the stock light because it can grow low/med light plants. Most people end up getting two of these lights to get med/high light.

Hope it helps! Let me know if you find a better solution! I'm sticking with the stock light for a while to see how the plants cope.

Rad91.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was looking at the finnex mighty ray. I didn't know about the fugeray. But the fluval one is a good option but i could only find it for 60$ and i didnt want to spend that much. Any cheap options?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexp08 View Post
I was looking at the finnex mighty ray. I didn't know about the fugeray. But the fluval one is a good option but i could only find it for 60$ and i didnt want to spend that much. Any cheap options?
"buy cheap... buy twice" as my nan used to say!

i cant justify the price at the moment but it will probably be cheaper than replacing the plants later on. consider it an investment

|
|
|
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Saw this as I was looking as well. Hope it helps.
http://www.partsandmedia.com/flmipoc...Fc1ffgodY18AiA

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode