The Nano Tank Which Goes Against Everything I Thought I Knew... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
The Nano Tank Which Goes Against Everything I Thought I Knew...

One of my friends recently went to Sweden for a job interview - leaving her nano tank with her boyfriend. I guess he left the light on almost all day, every day, all the glass is covered in algae. She took the job in Sweden and now the tank has been gifted to me.

The 2.5 gallon has a sponge filter, Seiryu Stone and is heavily planted. It's houses a colony of blue velvet shrimp, an oto and TWO pea puffers.

According to everything I know, the pea puffers need much more room and shouldn't be housed with shrimp. They pea puffers ignore the shrimp completely (they range from juvies to adults) and are not aggressive to each other. However it's my understanding that they are also very messy eaters so wouldn't the sponge filter not be enough?

The pH is 8.2. I'm amazed the shrimp are alive.

Now, I know I need to rehome the puffers and oto, the oto can go into my 40B, but the puffers will have to wait until I cycle another tank.

I've never seen so many things I was taught are wrong - seemingly working together.

It's my understanding that the stone also drives up the pH of the tank. Is this correct? If so, I would like to remove it but I'm worried about moving what is a major part of the tank decor and messing up the water quality for the shrimp.

Basically any advice would be appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
We need a full picture of it to chart a correction

small old reef tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

still running in 2018

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 01:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If everything is working, why are you in such a hurry to change it?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 03:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
As the saying goes "your milage may vary". Sometimes things just work when they shouldn't, or don't when they should. Part of the fun of the hobby, haha
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharko View Post
If everything is working, why are you in such a hurry to change it?
Well, to be honest, as much as I enjoy overstocking my own fish tanks, this one feels *way* too overstocked. I thought that Pea Puffers needed to be in larger, almost species only tanks to survive. Although they could be kept together if tall plants blocked them from seeing each other.

These two are like bros. Not really, it's a male and a female (as far as I can tell) but they swim around together, separately and I haven't seen any problems. Although this morning the smaller puffer didn't look like it was doing too well but it was in a part of the tank I couldn't get to with the net. After an hour of the lights being on it perked up.

I guess I see this tank as either being a Pea Puffer tank (for a solitary puffer) or a shrimp only tank - whichever makes it. But the shrimp are doing so well and completely left alone by the puffers (especially since the shrimp almost double them in size). I don't doubt that the baby shrimp get eaten but it being heavily planted makes is more plausible that a few would make it to a larger size.

I don't want any of the fish or livestock to truly be stressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehy View Post
As the saying goes "your milage may vary". Sometimes things just work when they shouldn't, or don't when they should. Part of the fun of the hobby, haha
I've definitely learned this over the years. I'm really fun to watch this little ecosystem play out. I started dosing with two drops of Excel at lights out and a few hours before lights come on to help with the algae.

I can post pictures once I get this algae cleaned up. I definitely would like some common sense advice. The puffers are fast little buggers and I haven't been able to net them. The oto shows no signs of stress so I'm going to let him eat some of the algae that is just COVERING the glass.

I have a photoperiod of about 6 hours, no other ferts and I will be topping off and changing water with spring water. I'll be doing my first water change early this week. All tanks are due.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode