Tarzan's jungle...Finnex 4 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tarzan's jungle...Finnex 4 gallon

Ok I have been posting a lot on setting up my finnex 4. Finally have the plants in it. Right now using the stock 13 watt finnex light, and a lay about 15 watt T8 strip light. Better than nothing till I figure out my lighting upgrade. This looks much better than just the stock 13 watt light. My guess is that 26-30 watts is needed for a good solid medium lighting.

Inhabs:
Betta splendus (crowntail)
3 otos

This is my first planted tank and wow I can not imagine the amount of effort it takes to get a tank like waterfaller or any of the other reat small tanks. My tank looks like an overgrown jungle.

I packed the tank with plants because I am using the Walstad method. So as I find out what works I will trim it, what fails I will pull out and then go from there.

So the plant place I ordered from seemed to be short on 50% of the order so this is what I ended up with. They did give me more than I paid for so I guess that makes up for the slow shipping and the backordered plants. But since I really just needed plants I wasn't too picky with the replacements. Everything looked in pretty good shape.

Here is what I have planted and on the way:

Nymphoidea aquatica
Rotala indica narrowleaf
Bacopa caroliniana-amplex broadleaf
Microsorum pteropus
Vallisneria americana
3 unidentified crypts, if they make it I will try an ID

Still waiting to come by USPS (should have ot Friday or yesterday since it went priority from NY) is Eleocharis acicularis, and a combo of peacock and java moss.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1830.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	10856  

Name:	100_1826.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	10857  

Name:	100_1823.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	10858  

Name:	100_1828.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	10859  

Name:	100_1825.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	10860  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The hairgrass and peacock moss are in. Now patience needs to happen. I have only had the tank planted like a week and I am already thinking about the rescape I am going to do in 4-6 months.
Stuff is startin to recover from bein planted. One banana plant is sproutin a new rhizome, while the other is sprouting a leaf. I also have noticed the val is startin to grow...Weird....

I am starting to think about what I want to do when I rescape....this is an addictive hobby....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Wow, that betta must be super happy with all the plants in there. I been meaning to try the Diana Walstad method for some time now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The betta does love it. He is starting to color up. Its amazing you take a Betta out of 58 degree water and give him a nice 79-80 degree tank and they become more active. I'm glad I finally took down my SW reef and decided to put my efforts into this tank.

Thumbs up/fingers crossed on the DW method so far. Already I am seeing growth which is amazing to me because the plants just went in a week ago and there is already growth...

Now I just need to keep my hands out of the water for at least 6 weeks. That will be tough.

I am thinking in 6 months I am going to pull out all the plants and rescape. I was thinking of making a "banana plant orchard" , or a "petite nana orchard" in rows like an apple orchard with short dw hairgrass or something similiar between the rows. Then I would just need a background plant. All these ideas....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well the stock HOB from the finnex was bothering me with its low flow. Once the plants went in it became stagnent almost. So I added an Aquaclear 150 I had laying around for flow. Much better. So we will see how that works out.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I need to post some new pics this weekend. I got rid of the java ferns, banana plants, and 2 small crypts. Have replaced with minuta marsilea, riccia floating and 2 dwarf java ferns. Growth at first was explosive but has now slowed since the tank has cycled. Lessons I have learned was that don't do a major trim or you will bring on a algae outbreak. From now on I will do less of a trim.

I just bought the HD light to add when I get my pressurised C02 going. I have a tank, regulator, and 2 brass check valves. I need to get co2 tubing and either a mini jet powerhead to feed the co2 in, or a nano diffuser, and a co2 drop checker. I found nano diffusers on ebay other members seem to like. Anything else I'm missing?

Once I get the CO2 going I want to try some reddish/pinkish plants to help break up the green look....

I really like this finnex 4.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you dont mind me asking, where did you get your finnex tank?

10 gal RCS colony Tank (RIP):

New Custom Built Mini-M Thread:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

EBAY....google finnex 4
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
thanks

10 gal RCS colony Tank (RIP):

New Custom Built Mini-M Thread:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

**Update**

Well the betta jumped, so I have now added 8 WC minnows. Boy I like them much better than the betta. I would post pics but I am in the throes of a gw invasion. Though today it looks like it might be clearing up. So hopefully clear water and pics soon. My marsilea minuta was just starting to spread as ground cover and then the gw which has damaged some of the MM. My rotala, and crypt wendti are growing real well. My Cabomba Carolina I am unsure b/c I can't see it. Haven't done anything to clear the gw except add micronutrients, and iron. I have added pressurized CO2 as well....

Anyways I am in the process of building and LED fixture to light the tank. Still waiting for some stuff to come in and then I will begin the build. It is kind of exciting. Hopefully the gw clears and I can post some pics.

I have learned some valuable lessons from this tank like don't trim every plant all the way back because algae will become an issue. Also I think I pushed myself into the GW phase when the betta jumped I added the 8 wc minnows and that may have upset the balance....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode