First real planted tank fluval flora - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
First real planted tank fluval flora

Hello all. Let me start by saying this is the greatest blog ever. So many ideas and so much info u guys and gals are great.

About 7 years ago I stumbled on the world of aquascape and it blew my aquarium mind. I've kept fish for most of my life from tetras to cichlids to over the past few years some real monsters. (Armatus Payara, peacock bass, arrowana, african tiger fish) but recently after a move to an apartment my 150 had to go to my brother and my 55 and 75 are in storage. This led me back to the planted world. I tried a planted tank a few years back with south American leaf fish (my all time favorite). With little knowledge and little funds it ultimately fizzled and after a leak in my 20 long, ended. this leads me up to the last few months and a wonderful aquarium expo in Schaumburg il (chicago)a few months back.

as I marveled at all the beautiful tanks I decided it was time to start a full on no joke high tech planted tank. While I'm not all there the pieces and the plants are coming together. this is my tank as it sits today:

Tank: 7.9 gal fluval flora. Custom cut lid- and yes I tore out and return glued the background

Lighting: stock fluval 13 w CFL X2 (26w total) wish I knew what the par is at 16in but no too much info out there that I can find.

Equiptment: stock crappy fluval internal filter that I hate. I have a eheim 2213 on the way for Christmas. Fluval mini co2 (also crappy but gla micro paintball regulator on the way as soon as they are back in stock)

Substrate: about 2.5 in of fluval plant substrate with the smaller granular shrimp substrate on top.

Flora:
-Water sprite ( ceratopteris thalictoides) I can almost watch this thing grow. Almost 1/2 in a day!! I trim to 1/2 the tank every Sunday and it hits the top usually by Friday.
-Ludwigia peruensis (or glandulosa not sure which is technically correct)
-Narrow leaf temple (hygrophila corymbosa)
- rotala indica
- dwarf hairgrass (elecharis acicularis)
- anubias Nana
- hc - didn't do very well and got attacked by algae and was eventually replace by dhg

Fauna
-Crown tail betta (Bowman, yes blackhawks fan my gf's also has a betta named quinville)
- neon tetra X2 (used to be 6 but bowman did NOT like the other 4 but seems perfectly ok with the last 2)
- otos X2
- ghost shrimp x10ish??
- ammano shrimp x3 (very small at the moment but doing well)

Ferts: ei dosing seachem aquavitro macros flourish micros and iron. Also supplementing crappy co2 system with Excel dosing. 50% water change every week.

The tanks been up for about a month now and all in all going very well. I have a little bit of hair algae and maybe bba? Growing on my water sprite but the clean up crew is thus far doing a great job. My hairgrass has only been in planted for about a week so too early to tell. But without further rambling here's my brainchild as she was on day 1 through today. first pick is from 11/10 last pic is 12/17. The last pic is the algae growing on my water sprite and a little on my dhg if anyone can Id that would b awesome (bba?). Please feel free to comment and any and all advice from you planted Einsteins would be greatly appreciated but until then keep up the beautiful work and unbelievable amount of info coming!!

Cheers

K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1418860400823.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	404866  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1418860414381.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	404874  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1418860438559.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	404882  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1418860458463.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	404890  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 12:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bowman is gorgeous! The tank is pretty nice, too.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have recently planted some hairgrass as well. Ive had the grass in for about a month and started to notice runners after about 10 days. I can see them along the edge of the gravel up against the glass. Every three days or so there is another blade of grass shooting off and up. Your tank will be full before you know it.

This makes me want a beta of my very own. :P

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So it's been a few weeks and enough has happened to warrant an update.

Tank is looking pretty good thus far. I'm amazed at the lack of algae (knocking on wood currently) so far. Some diatomes early on and a wee bit of hair algae but my clean up crew is working hard and currently the cost is clear. My ludwigia is really taking off and hit the top of the tank and to my dismay it was time to trim my beautiful new growth. I trimmed 2 stems about halfway and replanted. I felt pretty horrible about hacking what I've spent the last 2 months growing in half but feel a whole lot better now that off shoots have takin off. The hair grass continues to be hairgrass and grow incredibly slow but I switched to a pressurized co2 system and it's picked up a bit. Since the install I've noticed a few runners popping up so I'm expecting a bit of a boost in the next few weeks. Also upgraded the crappy fluval filter to an eheim 2213 (x Mas present) and picked up some lily pipes (amazon gift cards are sweet). I couldn't be happier with the combo. The flow in the tank seems pretty decent with no dead spots I can find and it's quiet as a mouse. All in all I'm happy with the progress and hopefully the tank continues kicking a$$ and taking names and my dhg carpet thickens up a bit.

Thanks all for all the info and ideas.

Ps ignore the cigarette butt diffuser(works amazingly well btw) there's a real one on the way.

Cheers

K

New ludwigia off shoots!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Haven't kept up with journals very well but after a full rescape I figured I should post an update.

Equiptment hasn't changed with the exception of a circulation pump

Fauna:
8 neons
2 ammano shrimp
2 ghost shrimp
2 otos
Some absurd number of red cherry shrimp (colony is breeding like crazy)

Bowman got his own 5 gal low tech tank due to his blood lust for neons and the brighter of the red cherries

Flora
Thanks to a generous roak win from treyLcham(*)
Dhg belem
Rotola indica? (From left)
Downoi*
Ludwigia broadleaf? (Back center, very small stems)
Pogostemon erectus*
True rotola*
Water sprite
Anubias Nana petite

Harscape
Seiryu stones
Driftwood I had laying around

Here's a before today's rescape
A shrimp jungle with out shape or scape

Here's post rescape. May split the anubias between 2 of the gaps with the wood and rock but I'm gonna stare at it for a while before I change anything. I'm very happy with how it came out.

Here's a pic of my favorite corner in my apt. 12 gal long and emmersed tub

Comments, critique, advice is more than welcome and thanks for looking

Cheers

K

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode