14 Gallon Rimless Start-up - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question 14 Gallon Rimless Start-up

Hi all,

First, this appears to be a great community; its been my inspiration in spending way too much money in recent weeks :P

Anyways, my tank has been up and going with limited plants and stock for a short time now. I have more dwarf emerald danios on the way, and plans for additional RCS. My quandary is I want to provide more plant density and cover for the skittish danios, but am unsure of how to do so.

When I originally did the layout I had in my mind a small rock outcropping overlooking a grassy marsh and distant grove of trees (latent whimsy side?). I would like to maintain this general theme, but feel that there is room for more plants along the background and possibly around the rock work. What is everyone's more experienced opinion on this?

FWIW: Dosed daily with excel, 2x week with flourish, substrate is eco-complete, lighting is Finnex Planted +, pH of 7.4-7.8.

14 gallon rimless bowfront

Thanks!
Alex

Last edited by farmerz05; 12-16-2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: adding link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The DHG needs light and the Crypt WILL fill in. Likely enough to shade that clump of DHG on the far right.
The ferts not being complete may cause a problem later on down the line but with limited amount of plants some ferts are supplied by fish food/waste that may be sufficient.
You might pick up a bottle of Osmocote+ from a garden supply(like the one in Walmart)
and just use tweezers to insert individual pieces of it under the Crypts. I use that method in my 10g tanks as there are few plants. DHG loves that also but I would only use one piece under each. They would spread better/quicker if individually planted also.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Love the tank. I like the overall shape of the tank. When it fills in it will have a nice sense of depth. the grass might get shadowed out, but you can clip the crypt at a sharp angle on top so it looks natural and doesn't bend over the surface of the water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode