1 gallon jar - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1 gallon jar

After being inspired by the amazing planted jars, bowls, and vases I've seen here, I've decided to set up a planted 1 gallon jar.
For plants I'm thinking java moss and hornwort. I would love some more plant suggestions!
I want to throw in a piece of driftwood and some river rocks.
As for fauna, I'll probably add some of the pond snails that are currently taking over my 6.6g betta tank and maybe a couple shrimp??
Please give suggestions/tips/etc. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Personally, I REALLY dislike hornwort, because as it grows, the lower "leaves" die and fall off, leaving you with a pile of rotting "pine needle" looking things. For plants I would look here Excellent List of Low Light Plants . I don't have much experience with these pico setups but I think basically the only fauna you can do in 1 gallon is shrimp and snails, so I think you're on the right track. I hope someone more experienced with small setups finds your thread! I'll be of any help I can

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
What sort of light source are you using? I have mosses in my cookie jar, but I am also growing pygmy chain sword, micro sword, and mini micro sword in a bubble bowl.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 12:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
The snails should clean up the dropped needles? I just got hornwort and don't see the dropped leaves.

I've got dwarf hair grass growing in my jar. Starting to spread.
Naja - guppy grass.
Java moss
Hair algae - in with the hair grass. need to pull it all and separate.
The myriophyllum mattogrossense died in all my tanks. Very pretty plant.

When the hair grass exploded, it cleared up the green water. Pulled it out and the remains of the Myriophyllum and inserted the guppy grass. Nothing to brag about.

I put one snail in each jar. Wow. they love spinach leaves and now I have several dozen babies. Everything from grain of sand to the original 1/2" snail. The algae on the wall is gone, but the hair algae survives.

My jars are sitting in the window and get late afternoon sunlight. The DHG bubbles. Not a lot, but it does bubble.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 07:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have a few cherry shrimps, snails and ostracods doing fine in my 2.5 gallon cookie jar paludarium with a bit over a gallon of water in it. As for aquatic plants, Ludwigia repens and Lysimachia nummularia mostly, doing fine, just have a 13 watt CFL lamp pointed at the jar.

Last edited by Nobody; 01-01-2015 at 08:01 PM. Reason: fauna

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode