Fluval Chi Shrimp Tank log - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Chi Shrimp Tank log

Although I'm not new to fishkeeping, This is my first time with co2 so I'm just itching with excitement over the spectrum of plants I can put into the tank. I have blue pearl shrimp coming in the next week or 2, and I'm not done with the aquascape since I've been doing the dry-start method until I filled the tank with water recently. Any suggestions on what I need to know in the future and possible plants that would look good in those blank spots?

Plants (for now):
Dwarf Baby Tears
Marimo Moss Ball

Specs:
ZooMed Canister Filter
Co2 System (20 bubbles per minute) <---Need help with this, no option to turn it off overnight either
LED Light (Once again, really sorry but I have no idea what the specs are :/ since I got this pretty cheap without a box at a garage sale)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	402961  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	402969  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I run my co2 24/7 but at lights out I have a air pump that kicks on to an airstone to off gass the co2 overnight then goes off 1 hr before lights on it seems to be working just fine as I don't have any ph swings
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So the air pump is just running overnight to balance it out? I've heard of that but never actually tried it. Can I get a pic? The tubing from the filter already look clunky to me, not sure if putting ANOTHER tube in would make it look better, but if it's for the safety of the shrimp, I guess I have to go that route. Thanks for the tip If you have any more ideas, don't be afraid to chime in!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes the air pump only kicks on at lights out and the off 1 hr before lights on my tank is painted blk so I use blk airline it blends in pretty good I have blk airline to my diy co2 difusser too I modified a elite mini filter it works great for the co2 sorry I can't post pics my iPod I use is outdated and won't let me if you have any other questions feel free to ask if I can answer them or help I will
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 06:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
i'm running 24-7 co2 also. no air pump. shrimp breed fine.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do you have surface agitation in your tank? Right now, The only agitation I have is coming from the outflow of the reactor so my dilemma is push the outflow lower in the tank giving the plants more time to use the co2 or leave it near the top to provide surface agitation so their's more oxygen entering the tank?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have no surface agitation in my tank till lights out when air pump kicks on I have my filter return about 3 inches under the surface pointed somewhat downward
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have my outflow a couple of cm above the surface pointed downwards at an angle and I see the tiny co2 bubbles floating around the tank before hitting the surface. Also, my Dwarf Baby Tears are pearling at the moment
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 04:50 AM
Algae Grower

Looks like you have a nice mat of baby tears. How long did you dry start them?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Planted Member

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth Prime, Sol System, Milky Way, Horrible Gelatinous Monster
Nice mat you have there. I nice spot of red/green would look great in the empty area, perhaps some rotala wallichi?

i would suggest you invest in a mini rake of some sort, because my shrimp love to litter my beautiful white sand with my black stratum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I drystarted for a month and a half but it was done filling in by the month. Left it for the extra month cause my co2 system wasn't ready yet.

And I was looking for a red bushy plant to go in the back right corner, maybe A. Reineckii mini? Rotalas tend to be taller than what I'm looking for Wanted to put Downoi at the center left of the top of the mountain (the substrate at the top of the mountain is actually divided by a rock wall) but that still leaves spots open. Also added some fissidens on the cliff hangings, will show an update later. Will definitely look at the mini-rake though, was actually thinking of how to clean the sand and that makes my life a lot easier.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode