Finnex 4 lighting question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Finnex 4 lighting question

What are people lighting their Finnex 4's with? I just set mine up and I don't think the single 13 watt fixture it came with is going to cut it. I am looking to get to medium/low light. Enough light for growth using natural, or excel. Not enough light to do DIY CO2.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I was looking at the lights of america light, and maybe using it in combo with the 13 watt light?

I have found other options but they are all $75-$100 options which I don't want to go to unless I have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 09:25 PM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
I've got one of these with one 10,000K and one 6700K. Works very well.
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/prod...oducts_id=1232

Also worth checking into (and a LOT brighter, albeit more expensive) is the 27w Archaea CF available from Aqua Forest. It's not on their site, but if you shoot them an email, George or Steven should be able to help you out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No Pimp Club.

Last edited by roybot73; 11-27-2008 at 10:35 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I found the 27 watt light on their website. Too much money for me....What kind of light level is the catalina light giving you? Does it bring you into the medium- medium light stage? Catalina will also do a 3 13 watt system for double the cost of the two bulb. Do you think I need that to get to medium/low light level?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
So you think the 13W is too *low*? I was worried that it was too *much* light for a 4-gallon myself.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 08:12 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to BTDarters
I have to agree with jread. If you're going for the "above 2 watts per gallon" rule, you're pretty-much set with a 13-watt.

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters -
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 11:04 AM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merk1_99 View Post
I found the 27 watt light on their website. Too much money for me....What kind of light level is the catalina light giving you? Does it bring you into the medium- medium light stage? Catalina will also do a 3 13 watt system for double the cost of the two bulb. Do you think I need that to get to medium/low light level?
The Archaea light I mentioned was only $60 plus $10 for shipping -- not the $195-$210 ADA Solar Minis on their site. I think they have the Archaea light manufactured specifically for them. It can be seen in this thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...tml#post547851

A very nice, well made fixture

The Catalina light does great for my Finnex -- It's actually almost choked out right now with mosses. Stems do pretty well, compact growth with smaller leaves. Kind of nice for a nano, you know? Java ferns and Anubias love the medium light levels it provides. I actually have some HM in there that's doing surprisingly well considering there's no CO2 and ferts get dosed sporadically at best. No algae issues that I've noticed. If you decide to go with this fixture, don't forget to order the (overpriced) legs for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTDarters View Post
I have to agree with jread. If you're going for the "above 2 watts per gallon" rule, you're pretty-much set with a 13-watt.

Brian
The stock light will grow plants, but with more light you will notice a world of difference. The WPG rule/myth doesn't really apply to nano sized tanks, they need a bit more than is generally recommended for the larger sized tanks.

Waterfaller1 has a great nano thread with a Finnex4 and 2 cubes. You can see what a difference adding more light to the Finnex made. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...no-update.html

No Pimp Club.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

If you set up the tank with the stock light it will only take you a day before you want to upgrade to a brighter light. Believe me it looks dark....I am going too look into that light Though the Catalina 2 bulb seems like a good compromise. IF mrs. Claus gives approval maybe I will get the catalina 3 bulb fixture. I could theb run two bulbs, and if I got serious about CO2 then I could turn the third bulb on....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode