lighting for my nano tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Louis
Arrow lighting for my nano tank

i really like the other tanks i see on here so now that i have my own it seems you guys are the people to talk to.

i'm setting up a dennerle 20litre nano shrimp tank at the moment, the light that comes with it is an 11w dennerle plant light, i have two of them. will roughly 2w per liter be too much light for plants such as anubias, java fern and dwarf hairgrass? anubias and java fern are listed as low light plants on tropica, does this necessarily mean they will perish in a high light environment? i only have experience with growing aquatic moss which pretty much thrives on neglect so this will be my first planted aquarium with other plants and my knowledge is lacking.
Is there a miniature variety of java fern as it seems that they would be too large for my 20l or can anybody recommend some similar leafy plants that stay small and would be suitable?

you can see the model of tank i am talking about here. http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u....php?news=1714

it mentions a carrying capacity of ten to fifteen sulawesi shrimps for the smallest tank but sulawesi are smaller than the cherry reds i plan to put in there. Assuming it has very good plant growth, weekly water changes and a dennerle nano filter what numbers of shrimp might i safely keep in here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 12:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
That's a nice looking tank.. you meant 2L not 20L right?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
wow $200 (roughly) for that is expensive!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
You should be fine with you plant choices. Low-light plants can grow in high light too, but anubias will likely be more prone to green spot algae. Windelov Java fern would be a relatively small fern to put in the tank. They grow pretty slowly, but eventually it would probably get too big.
With 22 watts of light on a 20 liter tank that is only about 1watt/liter, not 2watts/liter. I think 2watts per liter (40watts) is too much. You could even try using just one light and turning the other on for a few hours in the middle of the photoperiod to give a "noon" burst.
I would start out with around 10 red cherry shrimp. They will probably breed anyways and then you'll end up with more.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
That's a nice looking tank.. you meant 2L not 20L right?
I think he meant a 20 liter tank with 20l. I think a 20 liter tank ~ 5 gallons.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Louis
tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by connordude27 View Post
wow $200 (roughly) for that is expensive!
i am a total sucker for fancy packaging but it is quite a nice tank kit, i was lucky in that they accidentally undercharged me in the shop too.
thanks for the advice everybody.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode