fish for a 2.5g nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
fish for a 2.5g nano

Hello everyone. I have a little 2.5g planted tank and wanted to add some fish to it. I was thinking of some white cloud minnows. just wondering how many i could comfortably keep in this tank. it is being filtered with one of those red sea nano filters and water temp stays at 76-78. thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
maybe one beta. or some shrimp, 2.5g is too small for fish...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have fish in my planted 2.5, have had since I really planted it up about a year ago. Green neons are an excellent choice, they seem to stay smaller than neons, and provide that famous neon color. A number of killies are great choices as well. Aphyosemion striatum comes to mind, as does A. australe or A. bitaeniatum. Pretty much any coastal-lowland Aphyosemion sp. should do pretty well. Some small lampeye killies (Poropanchax spp.) are also good choices, but can be harder to find or recieve healthy. If you're looking for catfish, I am a fan of cories and have Aspidoras sp. "Black Phantom" in my 2.5. They're active little guys and lots of fun to watch.
I dont have small rasboras like B. merah or B. briggitae, but can't see them being poor choices. Neat little fish. Dario dario was one I saw in Germany that looked very nice in a small planted tank.
There is a sticky that has lists of good tiny fish for tanks like this, check it out, it's more complete than I am here.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
No green neons or white clouds in a 2.5 gal please! If you want fish make sure the tank is heated densely planted and maybe 3 micro rasbora or celestial pearls, maybe even some green Kobotai, ember tetra or one sparkling gourami. I have 3 microrasbora maculta and rcs in my 3.5 gal and they are fine. The micro rasboras I have are the same size as the RCS.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I have 6 Least Rasboras in mine.

Definitely no White Clouds though, they get around 2" and are VERY active.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i was just wondering... I like the white clouds, maybe ill do a few in a planted 10g that i have..
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
10g minimum for white clouds. but make sure theyres a current, they loved to play in the strong current in my 20. in the 10 they were mellow and just floated because of the slow moving water but when it was fast in the 20 they really perked up, showed their brightest colors, and were really fun fish to watch. i only got rid of them because they would bully my boraras and shrimp. and put only a betta in a 2.5, i guess its better then dying in a cup.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Now i cant decide between the celestial pearl danios and the micro rasboras. they both look nice! EDIT: they seem to be the same fish. im retarded.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 12:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Actually, they are different fish. Celestial Pearl Danios are just that, DANIO's. The microrasboras are usually in referance to the Boraras species of Rasboras, ie. Merah, Maculata, etc.
Alo, I would not put any of those fish into a 2.5gl tank...ever!

2.5gl is the empty volume. Once filled with substrate, hardscape and plants, open swimming space is greatly reduced. even if the tank was empty, 2.5gl is not big enough.

I have CPD's and microrasboras, B. Merah, and both of them need to be kept in schools of at least 7, and both are active fish. Not super crazy like some danios or the whiteclouds, but still lively.

To keep a small school (and I use 'school' generously as 7 is not really a fair number to be considered a school, so from now on, it'll be called a group) of any of the Boraras or Danios, or even green neons or a similar shoaling fish, the minimum would be 10gl's.

For a nice desk-top 2.5gl, shrimp are wonderfull- they are curious, colourful, cheap, and have a very low bioload.

I, along with many other seasoned hobbyists are very glad you asked this question on here. Hopefully others that are wanting to set up small nano tanks can read this, and the other similar posts and can come to a reasonable and ethical stock list for their tanks.

Good on ya tiger!

SrS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 03:05 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearunSimpson View Post

I, along with many other seasoned hobbyists are very glad you asked this question on here. Hopefully others that are wanting to set up small nano tanks can read this, and the other similar posts and can come to a reasonable and ethical stock list for their tanks.

Good on ya tiger!

SrS
I'm curious here...
"ethical stock list"...can you define this?
Here's why I say it. I recommended fish like green neons and Aspidoras above, because experience tells me that it is an acceptable setup. I've had the green neons in this setup for very nearly a year now and everyone who's seen the tank would not deny that the fish are healthy. That tank has been complimented by folks like Cory at Bayleesfishees. It's a kick-butt tank, in my opinion, and most folks share that thought. These are people that wouldn't if the fish were unhealthy in any way.
But your post seems to say, to me, that my stocking is perhaps "unethical". Is this so? See, I'm not a fan of the "rules" of fishkeeping, but I stop bending them when it becomes detrimental to my plants or animals. I hope odleon knows this, and that if the tank is well cared for (water changes!), a planted 2.5 gallon tank can certainly house a few fish.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
fishboy I think your green neons stay small because there growth has been stunted. They don't stay small. My green neons are in my 120P (about 65 gallons) and they are the size of cardinals. Im talking about Paracheirodon simulans they grow to one inch. As far as ethics, most fish that are kept in aquariums can be said to be unethical. They are not exactly kept in there natural habitat. I am guilty of this also. Green neons live in the Orinoco river in dimly lit pools, while i keep mine with 300watts of metal halide lighting. Although I only keep the lights on for 5 hrs a day. I still say only keep micro fish in a 2.5 gal tank.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 05:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish, such as Whiteclouds, Green Neons, Cardinal tetras, etc, when bought young, or when hatched young and kept in smaller aquaria do tend to get stunted, and do not reach their full growth potential.
Shoaling and schooling fish need ample room to stay healthy and happy. A shoal is not three or four fish.
Now, I have not seen your tank with the Green Neons, and do not know your fish care/keeping habits, so I can't make a call on that, and I haven't yet. You do raise a good point though: water quality.
A tank of his size, the afrementioned 2.5gl, is going to need careful monitoring.
I'm sure you monitor yours and keep up on the w/c's, which is good.

I'm not trying to start an online fight here. Thats not me in anyay. I'm just saying that when it comes to selecting fauna, that one chooses it accordingly to tank conditions and livestock requirements.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearunSimpson View Post
Actually, they are different fish. Celestial Pearl Danios are just that, DANIO's. The microrasboras are usually in referance to the Boraras species of Rasboras, ie. Merah, Maculata, etc.

SrS

Oh Ok. i had looked the CPD and the micro maculata on google and they came up with some of the same pictures. Also, the white clouds are on the sticky for nano tank fish. i really dont consider a 10g a nano. I consider something like 6-7g to be nano-class. thats just me tho.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Algae Grower

Thank you for that. I, too, am not in search of a disagreement. I often ask people to define what they mean so I avoid a misunderstanding, and I appreciate your response with a pretty clear idea of what you mean.
On a side note for marimo...my green neons are pretty close to that size. Cardinals are a slightly larger fish, I believe they are the largest Parachierodon (Fishbase agrees). Oh, and BTW...nice lighting system .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode