New Tank Cycling - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Tank Cycling

Ok, so I setup my new Fluval Flora 7 days ago. I have 5 neon tetra's in a holding tank waiting to go in. What do I need to test or how long would I need to wait before starting to add live stock? I was going to be doing a 20% water change tonight and have been dosing once a day using the stock Fluval co2 20 kit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What have you done to start a cycle? You can't just wait a while and then add fish, you need to get the bacteria established.
I suggest you go do more research to find out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have always started my cycle with adding fish. But since I have never messed with co2, etc I wasn't sure if the general process would be any different.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Algae Grower

could always add stress Zyme by API to boost up BB process

~fish are friends not food~
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also have water and some bio material from old tank that could be used as well
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 06:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Using fish to start a cycle is cruel to the fish. It burns their gills with ammonia.
Water carries basically no useful bacteria, don't bother. However, filter media and gravel are good ways to transfer bacteria over. Transfer a decent bit of material and then add a few small fish, but keep a very close eye on parameters- especially in such a tiny tank.
That or you can go with the fishless cycle and add ammonia to get the cycle going and keep it going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you cycle it this way just do large water changes for a couple weeks and it will cycle. We do not have to add ammonia to cycle a tank, it gets in even if you don't add any, or add fish (several long threads exist on here reviewing several ways both nitrifying bacteria and ammonia get in a tank, even if you add neither)

And in your case the co2 is independent of cycling, works the same with or without gas. You are changing the water to prevent gill burn in the fish, use a non API, non API, non API ammonia test kit to monitor your progress.

Changing large amounts of water in the cycling tank doesn't stop or stall the cycle, it will still cycle.

To cycle a tank, simply add water and time.

ALL the tricks we use past that are designed to lessen the time factor, but simple water changes over and over will work just fine I just cycled a tank like this using a tiny guppy and some red cherry shrimp on day 1 although it wasn't a group of neons I think 2 or 3 won't make the cycle.

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 01:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Add the cycled media from the other tank. (the holding tank with the neons?)
Add some bacteria in a bottle that includes Nitrospira species of bacteria.
Fish can go in as soon as that has circulated.

Are the fish in a tank that has CO2? If not, then turn off the CO2 in the new tank for a day, then add the fish. Turn on the CO2 very slowly, taking several days to a week to get back up to where you want it.

Ammonia will not 'find' the tank in enough quantity to cycle the tank.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
we can find links that show nitrifiers coming out of tap water and into the water we drink. talk about a place one would typically say you can't find nitrifiers...check local water supply colony counts from the w treatment lab avail to most cities...this is a complex including nitrifiers. How much raw ammonia do you detect in your tap water? Me, zero yet we have no sterile tap, hmm.

https://uwspace.uwaterloo.ca/bitstre...ott_Daniel.pdf

nitrifiers come out of untreated tap, makes one wonder why an aquarium open topped and contaminated for 30+ days is such an impossible source. How hard do they work to keep drinking water clean
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12420937
Imagine how dirty a 45 day tank of standing water will be that on more than one occasion had bare human hands in it and had zero disinfectant properties upon startup 45 days ago

This read was challenging but interesting in that it outlines scum layer associations between heterotrophs and nitrifiers....same community different food sources but in the end a self supporting nutrient sharing web

http://aem.asm.org/content/70/3/1641.full

The reason adding a light fish bioload to a tank that has set with water 30-60 days doesn't have the same clouding, smell, and ammonia registry as it does by adding them on day 1 is due to a base seed of these communities that is the result of natural cycling. They take off fast upon full bioloading, few days time

I never thought that water only cycling would handle instantly a full fish bioload, but the cycle does begin and can handle the early fish loading measurably better than inputting the same bioload day 1

Show me a water sample devoid of GAB heterotrophs and I'll agree there are no nitrifiers.

We can find nitrifiers thriving in places not expected we can easily see

The lfs that used to tell their customers to wait 30 days after tank fill to add fish had this basic concept as well.

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

Last edited by brandon429; 12-07-2014 at 03:39 PM. Reason: sp

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode