New Fluval Flora - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Fluval Flora

Ok, wanted to share my first attempt at a planted aquarium and hope to get some answers to a few initial concerns.

Fluval Flora
Stock Fluval Internal Filter (Very Loud)
Aqueon 100W Heater
Fluval co2 20 kit
Fluval Stratum Substrait, Full bag of course, 1/2 - 3/4 bag of fine on top
Temp Around 78
Plants: Anubias Frazeri, Dwarf Hairgrass, Crypt Parva

Questions/Concerns: I had soaked my driftwood in a 5 gallon bucket for about a week or so, slightly delayed due to the holidays. When I took it from the bucket it was a bit slimey feeling so I scubbed it under hot water and looked fine. But now after two days there is a white jelly like mold on it and many of the branches have white fuzzy mold starting. Should I pull this and boil it or let it run it's course?

2nd question is around the the Fluval co2 which I will replace once done with canister. Should the dual bells completely empty out? I notice that in a few hours the bottom bell replaces with water but the top bell never seems to empty fully of gas or air?

Thanks,

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	398338  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tank2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	398346  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
When it comes to the driftwood, let the 'mold' run its course, it's a fungus vs bacteria thing that will do its thing and then go away. It's harmless. If you want to help clear it up you can siphon some off when you do a water change.
A question - what type of driftwood is it? It's very nice. And I really like your setup!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Tank looks nice. Well done. I really like the driftwood piece!

+1 on the driftwood issue. Totally normal, just let it runs its course and it'll go away. My shrimp and fish would actually pick at it too. I have no experience with pressurized CO2, so I have no help for your second concern. But an idea/suggestion, what if you moved those 4 river stones you have on the white gravel and either centrally arrange them, or scatter them about where the white meets the black. Just an idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the compliments. I honestly don't know much about the wood other than it was in a bin at my LFS. The tan stones may come out, the jury is still out on them. I had the larger river stones in my old Edge and thought id see how they looked. Anyone know of a good source to buy smaller rocks?

I have a few neon tetra's in a holding tank waiting for their new home.

Also failed to mention in my opening post that I had replaced the original light with a Fuge Ray Planted Plus.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode