Fast growing plant for hair algae - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fast growing plant for hair algae

Hey all,

I am currently running a 2G Aqueon setup. It is currently stocked with Rili shrimp, a few Anubias, some RRF, and moss (java and mini weeping). Currently, the tank is running into a severe problem with hair algae (severe). I am cutting down on the light and performing daily Excel treatments. However, I am sure there is a nutrient imbalance, and wanted to get a fast growing stem plant to help alleviate this and stifle algae growth. Given how small the tank is, it is difficult to keep nutrients in check.

A few parameters: the water flow is fairly rapid (the shrimp have adjusted to this), and the light is relatively bright (It's a 10" Finnex Fugeray). I can't adjust its height, so I have reduced its photoperiod. Any suggestions would be swell; I've used Cabomba in the past, but my understanding is it isn't well suited for quick-flowing water. The moss is growing, but hasn't reached a critical point yet where it is growing fast enough to outpace algae.

Any suggestions on a good fast growing plant for this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Many different opinions, so all you can do is sort through the various methods and choose one. I'll never have algae or any other invader in any tank of mine from day one to day 10000 because:

It is not permitted to grow regardless of nutrient levels.

I kill all invaders with peroxide. Sure you read about those who treated and it didnt work or only worked short term, to that I'd reply don't use their method it must stink.

simply drain all picos down to the gravel for a full water change. When empty apply peroxide only to bad parts

Let sit two mins

Refill then change water again to export it. Refill. Repeat as needed eventually it stops when you find your co2 and light balance. My new tank took about 6 treatments to stop.

What it really comes down to is do you want to forge your own path or just take a known path that works. Its not up for debate if you can fix your hair algae in about a week, its up for debate if you want it that fast or if you'd prefer another method out of the many for algae treatment. Want to see some examples

Google:
Pico reef pest algae challenge thread

Read that painful long rascal see if p looks predictable

The p simply reverses some of the biomass involved in eutrophication and its a great cleaner for a choked up tank. Best best is get some gas. I know you don't want to inject co2, so adjust light accordingly. Currently its too bright (algae) for your co2 levels as you've mentioned

You'd have to densely plant it with fast growers to get the effect you asked about. One or three won't help for algae control,the tank as described is low production but bright lighting, thats the algae cause imo its no nutrient issue. Picos should be getting large water changes then just kill whatever algae wants to be there, its unnatural for it to be absent in an aquatic system, for low level infestations just kill it.

I keep a much larger bioload in a half gallon and algae is easy to control, no fast growers.

small old reef tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

still running in 2018

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brandon429; 12-02-2014 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Sp
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon429 View Post
Many different opinions, so all you can do is sort through the various methods and choose one. I'll never have algae or any other invader in any tank of mine from day one to day 10000 because:

It is not permitted to grow regardless of nutrient levels.

I kill all invaders with peroxide. Sure you read about those who treated and it didnt work or only worked short term, to that I'd reply don't use their method it must stink.

simply drain all picos down to the gravel for a full water change. When empty apply peroxide only to bad parts

Let sit two mins

Refill then change water again to export it. Refill. Repeat as needed eventually it stops when you find your co2 and light balance. My new tank took about 6 treatments to stop.

What it really comes down to is do you want to forge your own path or just take a known path that works. Its not up for debate if you can fix your hair algae in about a week, its up for debate if you want it that fast or if you'd prefer another method out of the many for algae treatment. Want to see some examples

Google:
Pico reef pest algae challenge thread

Read that painful long rascal see if p looks predictable

The p simply reverses some of the biomass involved in eutrophication and its a great cleaner for a choked up tank. Best best is get some gas. I know you don't want to inject co2, so adjust light accordingly. Currently its too bright (algae) for your co2 levels as you've mentioned

You'd have to densely plant it with fast growers to get the effect you asked about. One or three won't help for algae control,the tank as described is low production but bright lighting, thats the algae cause imo its no nutrient issue. Picos should be getting large water changes then just kill whatever algae wants to be there, its unnatural for it to be absent in an aquatic system, for low level infestations just kill it.

I keep a much larger bioload in a half gallon and algae is easy to control, no fast growers.
Well, I know that even moss growing well enough is sufficient to stunt hair algae, as my other pico had nasty hair algae until the java moss took off... since the java moss' growth is exponential (the more there is, the faster it grows) it choked out the hair algae. And some of the other plants. The hair algae is choking out the mini weeping moss (but it isn't touching the java moss at all, oddly). In the other tank as well, I've noticed that anywhere on the glass that the java moss has attached itself, algae won't grow within about 5mm of it. I'm wondering if Java Moss actually excretes an antialgal substance. Two tanks so far have consistent results in that healthy java moss seems to inhibit algal growth in its immediate surroundings.

Should also point out that this certainly isn't a saltwater pico.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
It doesn't matter, works the same between the two environs i use it on my fw picos.
Recent threads here show my drain and treat

Its possible to have no algae and not use p

As mentioned, you can keep waiting or not use it at all and fight it nutrient only as thats the most common tactic. Its also why my peroxide threads are so large, nutrient battling doesn't work very well but it can work sometimes.

I get the posters who are on month 3-19 of constantly making excuses for how the tank looks during the long wait for nutrient battling.

Peroxide doesn't even have to be your main method. You can use it so the pics you post show a force clean. Then use the crowd approved methods of maintaining that look without peroxide. The point is the outcome isn't up for debate you can tell by that thread. If you want gha, farm it until some natural method selects against it.

Plant allelopathy and anti algae chems are possible its just not predictable. Anything thats predictable gets a sixty page thread.

People here will tell you that you have a light and co2 imbalance as the cause. Whether or not you actually have gha in your tank is independent of that fact and I agree its the initial cause.

We were taught not to take decisive action on small tanks all these years, so can't blame the public for not forging their own path to 100% algae control. We've only recently been given permission by the masses to do large water changes, ten years ago that "killed beneficial bacteria"

Post pics of your issue and we can track timeframes of the fix for comparison.

Pics show potential waste sinks in the tank, light balances and technical details in the foliage pics are the best help on any algae help thread.

Have a look in the algae section here and see whats most recommended for control in small tanks and post back- what I read is this

One two punch method
Adjusting light and gas levels
Heavy planting
Effective grazer balance

I only wrote all this for one reason. For any reader to know at any time you can take away your hair algae in 48 hours no matter what, you never have to have any invader take over any tank unless you simply want that look. Having gha is an option, if its in someones tank they want it there as a mini personal challenge. An avalanche of documentation proves its totally optional.

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

Last edited by brandon429; 12-02-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Ap

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode