I am primarily a saltwater SPS reefer but after winning a betta at a local aquatics conference, I got a 2.5 gallon Aqueon Cue setup for my nightstand. After thinking about it further, I decided I'd like a little planted setup would be nice and peaceful to look at while in bed. It's been a long time since I did anything freshwater, and I've never done a planted tank. I am definitely open to suggestions and constructive criticism. I'd like something natural looking and peaceful.
I did a little research and here's the current setup:
- Aqueon Cue 2.5 with stock LED light
- Fluval Stratum substrate
- Malaysian Driftwood piece
- Cobalt heater
- RODI water (which I ordered Seachem Equilibrium to buffer)
Here's the mods I plan to do:
- Replace stock filter with an Azoo Palm filter because it blocks 1/2 the light (ordered)
- For Azoo filter, Aquaclear mini foam, mini amrid, mini carbon, and mini biomax
- Fluval 88g CO2 system with ISTA Mini Ceramic Cone CO2 Diffuser (ordered)
- Hinter Aqua Aquarium Hang on external CO2 PH indicator with Fluval indicator fluid (ordered)
- Seachem Flourish Excel (not sure if I need this with the CO2 - ordered)
- Seachem Flourish tabs
- Light - Please help with this, I can't seem to find one small enough for my 8"x8" length/width. Ideally I'd like something LED. I am doubtful the stock light is bright enough.
- 3 tiny cherry shrimp (probably too soon)
- Plants on order - tissue cultured dwarf hairgrass, water sprite, java fern
Advice welcome on equipment, livestock and plants!