HELP! Fungus (?) Killing my HC Cuba - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
HELP! Fungus (?) Killing my HC Cuba

Hi guys,
I believe I have a fungus growing on my hc cuba that is killing it. I would upload a pic but its almost impossible to see. It looks like cobwebs on my plants.

Tank is a fluval spec v with a finnex fugeray planted+ on it as well as co2 injection from a paintball setup. I have been dosing the entire seachem flourish line-up based off the seachem dosing schedule. The fungus is growing on my staurogyne repens as well as my hc cuba. Its only killing the hc though.

How can I get rid of it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Heres a photo right after planting hence the cloudy water. I have since split the hc up more and planted each individual plantlet.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 11:49 AM
Algae Grower

Is it hair-like? BBA (Black Beard Algae) seems to be the most common in a new set-up. If your CO2 injection levels are fluctuating then the imbalance will cause BBA.

Last edited by Holbrows; 11-21-2014 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Misspelling.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its definitely not bba. Ive had plenty of battles with that devil
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Algae Grower

Hmm, a nightmare that is, right! Is it lime green? A possible hair algae variant I've seen is very thin but almost luminous green.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Generally the harmful type of fungus only grows on emersed HC, not submersed HC and looks exactly as you described. The normal way is to either submerse the HC or dry the emersed HC out a bit by lowering the water level in the emersed box.

I suspect what happened to your HC is that it was damaged and infected with the fungus during transport to you when it was out of the water in damp conditions.

Luckily the fungus does not do well when submersed so it should die off soon on its own. It also does not tolerate acidic conditions well so you could increase your CO2 injection rate which would drop the pH and help kill off the fungus.

There is another unrelated type of fungus that sometimes grows in our tanks underwater. It is more like cotton wool and it is white. It will not harm plants at all and clears up after a few weeks. It is usually seen on new drift wood.

Pics would help even if they are too blurry to see the strands of fungus.

Zapins
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright ill get some photos up tonight. Ive already raised my co2 to about 70 ppm because I know fungi need O2 so I figured co2 would help kill it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's a photo of it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1416635319807.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	394465  

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 05:44 AM
Plant Whisperer

Doesn't look like the damaging kind of fungus. I think it is growing on those plants because the plants are dying and it is eating the dead tissue. Not causing the plants to die. It looks similar to the fungus that grows on new drift wood (eats the organics coming off the wood/bark/sap). It should go away soon.

Alternatively it may be pale hair algae as Holbrows mentioned. It is hard to see from the photo. If it greens up, its hair algae. If it stays pale white it is probably a fungus.

Is this tank newly setup? Or are the plants newly added? Sometimes plants lose leaves when they are freshly placed underwater. This has to do with the emersed leaves not being adapted to submersed conditions.

Also, adding CO2 does not displace O2 from the water. Your water will still be saturated with oxygen. Fish gasp when the CO2 is high because it irritates their gills which make mucous which blocks oxygen from getting into their blood. CO2 also binds to their blood and reduces the blood's ability to carry O2. It has nothing to do with the O2 concentration of the water.

The main factors affecting O2 saturation in water are temperature and surface movement of the water.

The carbonic acid that is made by CO2 when it mixes with water should help kill the fungus since most species do not do well in acidic conditions.

Zapins
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright cool. Its not green at all so im guessing its fungal. Also, all the plants were grown submerged, I got them from aquarium co-op which is a fairly legit shop for planted tanks. I wouldn't be surprised if the owner was a member of this site. I think it may be a nutrient deficiency then. Im using the full seachem line but I've read its junk in a high tech tank. Ill have to order some dry ferts from GLA and see if that changes things.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 06:54 AM
Plant Whisperer

You may be right about the nutrient deficiency. It is hard to tell from that one photo if something is missing. Perhaps a few more photos of the other plants in the tank will tell which nutrient is missing. A nitrate test might not be a bad idea either.

I agree with the statement about SeaChem not working so well in high tech tanks. It is too dilute to work well unless large doses are used. Cheaper to dose dry fertilizers than liquid.

Zapins
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all your help
Here's a photo of some staurogyne repens that is dying from said deficiency.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1416809891922.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	395249  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode