Mikes Fluval Flora - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Mikes Fluval Flora

So a few months back i thought my dream had finally come true! I signed up for my first aquascaping contest that was being held by the AGA at the Chicago Aquatic Experience. So i paid $75 to enter and off i went for 2 months planning this aquascape out.

Now I was on a budget and already had 2 tanks set up that were very heavily planted so i decided i would use any plants I currently had and I wouldn't buy any extras (which i did). Anyways long story short I had everything planned out and i spent no extra money on any hardscape material or plants.

Now i was ready and the week of the contest arrived! I couldn't be more excited but then work drops a bomb shell. I normally monday-thursday 4-10s. But no this week last minute mandatory overtime. I work afternoons so it would directly interfere with this contest for me. I had to work friday 4pm until 330 am. Huge bummer but still i was confident id be able to set up my aquascape during show hours. (Rule was you had to set the tank up at certain times friday 12-6 or saturday 10-1)

So i get off work get home and go straight to bed. I live 1 hour away from the venue So i get up at 7 am and get all my plants ready to go and all my hardscape stuff and anythign else i think i could need. IM ready to go by 8.

Then I try to wake my girlfriend up. She just didnt have the same sense of urgency i did and didnt wake up for another 30 minutes and then she took a shower and got ready. We are out the door at 10. Im a calm and quiet guy but i was in a mad rush and was doing 80mph the whole way there. I didnt arrive until 1130 =( traffic was insane there as no parking and blah blah blah

long story short i didnt get there in time to set up my tank. Not dissing any of the aquascapes bc they were all awesome but i was confident i could have placed.. I was so dissapointed at myself and just bummed that i kinda sulked around for a bit while my girlfriend went off looking at all the cool stuff at the show.

sulking didnt last long after i realized how much fun all the fish tank stuff around me was and getting to talk to Dustin and seeing Oliver knott and just all the epic stuff there.

Okay no more crying here is the tank i set it up November 9th

I am going to try to take as many pictures and keep this updated.

and side view

oo yeah and i hope we all learned a valuable lesson from my story! =)

Also you best believe if this contest is being held next year im going at it full throttle and i def wont be late!

PS Great job to all the contestants in the competition! it was awesome seeing all your tanks

Bump: OO yeah and for stocking I am going to be adding shrimp and maybe some fish. I was thinking blue neocardinas and maybe some ottos or my habrosus corys that are currently in a different aquarium.

I would love to do some type of tetras like black neons, or regular neons, but my gf wants shrimp and since we live together and i already have 3 tanks set up a (75, 25, 7.8) (and a 125 and 10 gallon stored in our garage not set up), i think ill get her some shrimp since she puts up with my MTS

Last edited by mikeb524; 11-18-2014 at 07:41 AM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 07:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank looks great! Something you should be proud of even tough you didn't get a chance to enter it. What sort of substrate is that white at the front?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode